2 Gallon Per Minute Flow Kit - Seems Not Enough Assist At Low Speed (Good Highway Feel)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1998 K1500. Stock suspension and tires - nothing crazy. Power steering pump was going bad (weak and erratic at low speed - and I think the EVO was also going bad). Bought a 1998 pump (not sure if that was the right decision, or if I should have bought an earlier unit), didn't put the EVO back into it, and installed this . . .

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Powe...e-Kit,379646.html?sku=91603018&utm_matchtype={match_type}&msclkid=006a752f35d21e7b8bd01091c0416a69

after reading about it here (2nd page of discussion):

I like the feel at highway speeds (less assist, even without EVO), but now the steering assist at low speeds does not seem like enough.

Anyone had this issue, anyone have a solution? Maybe a slightly smaller power steering pulley?

Thank you in advance.

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question. I'm keeping an eye on it - no adding fluid so far and Ive driven it a bit. Also, I had it in the air and did a bunch of cycles after the pump and line changes to try and get the air out before the wheels were on the ground.

Interestingly, I just got in it on a cold startup and it was fine at low speed. Today it got bad at low speed at the end of my trip. So maybe it's an intermittent problem. I'll see what it does at the end of the trip tomorrow morning after I drive it a while and it's warm.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why would you want to reduce the flow? My 95K2500 is firm steering, not a one finger type. But the 98 suburban is a one finger turning the wheel anytime. And a GM tech said " all the soccer moms complaining about heavy steering, so they made it easier for them " .

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you want to reduce the flow? My 95K2500 is firm steering, not a one finger type. But the 98 suburban is a one finger turning the wheel anytime. And a GM tech said " all the soccer moms complaining about heavy steering, so they made it easier for them " .
I found it twitchy on the highway (with EVO, or perhaps EVO was failing and that is why it felt twitchy). The reduced flow is better feel everywhere - it seems - except occasionally - not even all the time - when parking. I'm happy with the tradeoff.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
decrease pulley size of either the drive pulley (if v belt , so probably the water pump or the water pump/crank) relationship to the ps pulley (so the ps pulley could be changed too) if this fixes your concern, you need to increase flow not decrease it. Modify your pressure with your flow control valve, which is where you bolt the hose in .

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1998 K1500. Stock suspension and tires - nothing crazy. Power steering pump was going bad (weak and erratic at low speed - and I think the EVO was also going bad). Bought a 1998 pump (not sure if that was the right decision, or if I should have bought an earlier unit), didn't put the EVO back into it, and installed this . . .

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Powe...e-Kit,379646.html?sku=91603018&utm_matchtype={match_type}&msclkid=006a752f35d21e7b8bd01091c0416a69

after reading about it here (2nd page of discussion):

I like the feel at highway speeds (less assist, even without EVO), but now the steering assist at low speeds does not seem like enough.

Anyone had this issue, anyone have a solution? Maybe a slightly smaller power steering pulley?

Thank you in advance.
What climate do you live in, and what temps do you see now

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Twitchy steering means the EVO wasn't working properly. My 1500 was that way when I bought it. I fixed the EVO by replacing the sensor on the column and now life is grand. Effortless steering in a parking lot and actual feel at speed.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
easiest way to diagnose the issue is to remove the connector, because with no power it should have full output. with power, it reduces flow at speed

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interestingly, I just got in it on a cold startup and it was fine at low speed. Today it got bad at low speed at the end of my trip. So maybe it's an intermittent problem.

This makes me wonder if your new pump is bad out of the box... Maybe it's not moving enough fluid at low speed once everything's warmed up?

Bought a 1998 pump (not sure if that was the right decision, or if I should have bought an earlier unit)

1996 pump would've been the way to go IMO. You'd need a '96 pressure line too, but that's the cleanest way to eliminate the EVO I'm aware of and most of the '96 pumps will come with a control valve that's set up for the pre-EVO system. That one from Speedway that you used may be fine, but personally I'd do some research and make sure it's an appropriate choice for this application.