#2 Misfire at Idle, Random/Multi While Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you ever hook up a fuel pressure guage?

Yes. It shoots right up to 60 when priming both before starting the engine and after shutting it off. It runs in the mid-low 50s, depending on what I do with the throttle. No hesitation though when I blip the throttle. I have a new fuel filter on the way since I realized it's been two years (I think???) since I've replaced it and it's due anyway.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did some more wrenching, maybe made some progress?

I pulled all the plugs and ran a compression test. All the odd cylinders have consistent compression and dry, toasty plugs. Evens, however, are wet and have varying (but still high-ish?) compression. #2 is the one the check engine light is telling me is misfiring. It's a wet, dirty plug with strong compression. #4 is the best plug on that side and still had good compression. #6 gave me the most trouble. I had a hard time lining up the tester threads on this hole, and I ran the test 3 times (removing and reinstalling the tester each time just to be sure it wasn't operator error) and got 3 different numbers for compression, and it seemed to build compression slower than the others. As you can see, the plug is also dirty. #8 had as good a compression as the other bank and built it fast but has a dirty plug.

180 to 160 is about a 12% difference. Most things I've heard say that 10-15% variance is generally ok. The fact that all of the evens are wet, even those with good compression, and that it gives a code for #2 makes me think the compression on #6 may not be the issue... but then again it might? Maybe somehow it's triggering the high fuel trim and that's that is making all the other plugs wet.

Not sure what the next step is besides test spark. I can get the test light style kind that plugs in between the wire and plug, but will that tell me if the spark is strong enough? I still have not pulled the distributor to look for stripped gears because I don't have a 2 way scanner to re-set the timing if I don't put it back exactly right. I don't think my blue driver will do it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the next step is besides test spark. I can get the test light style kind that plugs in between the wire and plug, but will that tell me if the spark is strong enough?
Use the older kind that produces an actual spark--and calibrated for HEI. Far as I can tell, the newer "inline" kind were designed by lawyers scared folks would get shocked if they didn't enclose the voltage.

www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZXAWK/?coliid=I3S98D7T1J0RLJ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

But if you had weak spark, all cylinders would be affected.

I still have not pulled the distributor to look for stripped gears because I don't have a 2 way scanner to re-set the timing if I don't put it back exactly right. I don't think my blue driver will do it.
Don't need bi-directional control to read cam offset. But I don't know anything about "blue driver".

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use the older kind that produces an actual spark--and calibrated for HEI. Far as I can tell, the newer "inline" kind were designed by lawyers scared folks would get shocked if they didn't enclose the voltage.

www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZXAWK/?coliid=I3S98D7T1J0RLJ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

But if you had weak spark, all cylinders would be affected.

Don't need bi-directional control to read cam offset. But I don't know anything about "blue driver".

Interesting. There was something like that tool at autozone when I got the inline spark tester just now! I'll go back and look at it tomorrow.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Umm... does this say what I think it says? My timing is really this far off?

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems "reasonable" to me. Kinda guessing you're in closed-loop, and the computer is adding advance based on the rpm.

A little surprised you don't have more advance that that.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems "reasonable" to me. Kinda guessing you're in closed-loop, and the computer is adding advance based on the rpm.

A little surprised you don't have more advance that that.

I'm actually not sure, I had just started the truck up for about a minute or two when I took this reading. Is that the value I need to be looking at or should I look for something else?

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know what, I was getting this mixed up with camshaft retard, that's what I need to check, and that's what I think my scanner can't do.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got a scanner that can read CMP Offset and it's at 9 degrees. Should I even mess with trying to reset the distributor or should I just yank it and look at the gears?