EVO power steering assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks df2x4. I have had my truck sense 2002. About 2 or 3 year after I bought the truck, The EVO sensor on the column went out. When it did, the truck would jurk the steering wheel just a little while driving down the road. I had the local Chevy dealer replace the sensor. What the truck is doing now, is the steering will be very hard at idle some times. If I rev the engine, it is ok. It only does this maybe once or twice a month. I have changed the steering box 3 times. The OE box was bad. The second box leaked in two places, one of them was in the casting of the box. I even tried welding it, but that did not hold up, so on to the third box. This one leaked where the end cap is at the front of the box, where it was taken apart for service. I git it to stop with some stop leak, but this makes me wonder, what shape the PS pump is in. The fluid was clear when I installed the new boxes, but now after about 2 years, the fluid is dark, and needs to be changed. If I end up needing to replace the PS pump, I was thinking about replacing it with a pre EVO pump. When I had my 93 WT, I never had an issue with the PS. I also when I punch the gas and have to let off and hit the brakes quick, The steering get hard, like no PS at all. I never had that issue with my 93. If I need to change the EVO sensor, I would do this my self, but I want to get rid of the steering issues all together. If changing the PS pump to a pre EVo pump will do that, then that is what I will do. I was just wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked for them. Also will this effect the ECM at all. What controls the ECO system, the ECM ?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like the pump could be your issue. As far as I know, the EVO system doesn't communicate with the PCM at all.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All very interesting. My 98 has the "EVO problem" in that at unpredictable times, the steering wheel likes to behave as though there's an invisible hand jerking it a bit. When it first happened, it was slightly scary, but now that I know what it is, I just shrug it off. Sometimes, I'm tempted to pull the module at the bottom of the steering column, and either replace it, or use electronics contact cleaner on it, but I always stop myself, maybe because I'd miss that "invisibl hand" sensation.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All very interesting. My 98 has the "EVO problem" in that at unpredictable times, the steering wheel likes to behave as though there's an invisible hand jerking it a bit. When it first happened, it was slightly scary, but now that I know what it is, I just shrug it off. Sometimes, I'm tempted to pull the module at the bottom of the steering column, and either replace it, or use electronics contact cleaner on it, but I always stop myself, maybe because I'd miss that "invisibl hand" sensation.
That is exactly what my truck did the first time the EVo went out, when I had the Chevy dealer change out the EVO steering sensor.

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the first year that has the Evo steering ?

mistaake

Reaction score
what does evo actually do? i don't like the steering feel when doing multi-point turns/when parking in my 99 suburban. the 95 suburban and 96 yukon i owned in the past were better in this regard. i suspect if the power steering pump ever goes bad and needs to be replaced i would go without the evo thing...

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Adding another data point. Removed my EVO, pump, and line. Write up in http://www.wikiwrench.com/index.php/1988-1998_Chevrolet_CK_Power_Steering

What is the first year that has the Evo steering ?

1997 was the first year it was available

what does evo actually do? i don't like the steering feel when doing multi-point turns/when parking in my 99 suburban. the 95 suburban and 96 yukon i owned in the past were better in this regard. i suspect if the power steering pump ever goes bad and needs to be replaced i would go without the evo thing...

It's supposed to give more assist under 40MPH and firm up the steering at highway speeds. To be honest, I can't feel the difference after switching it. Before and after both feel really light and numb, just like how it should be.