Evo delete without removing pump.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I disconnected the solenoid on the pump. No weird feeling at all. I think if it was going to feel weird it definately would have with the size and weight of a van. I never liked the feel with the system still working. Made driving in heavy crosswind gusts dangerous feeling to me because there was a lack of assist when you needed it at highway speeds.

Does disconnecting the solenoid have the same effect as unplugging the column sensor? I.E. putting the system into full boost at all times? Because if so I can't imagine how you possibly would think that feels alright at highway speeds. You're not the first person I've seen say that but it baffles me. When my '97s EVO systems were stuck in full boost a tiny touch of steering input at 70MPH would make the trucks want to jump lanes. It feels way too soft/numb to me.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does disconnecting the solenoid have the same effect as unplugging the column sensor? I.E. putting the system into full boost at all times? Because if so I can't imagine how you possibly would think that feels alright at highway speeds. You're not the first person I've seen say that but it baffles me. When my '97s EVO systems were stuck in full boost a tiny touch of steering input at 70MPH would make the trucks want to jump lanes. It feels way too soft/numb to me.
Not my 97 Express. When the system was working 100% and the thing was almost new it was like trying to turn a oak tree at highway speeds. I started driving the thing back in 2001. With the pump solenoid unplugged it is full assist. I drove an older G-van and it drives the same. I also unplugged the 99 Tahoe because I hated how it felt even though it was working fine. Even changing lanes at triple digits either feels fine to me. When I put the 8.1 in my Tahoe it had a pump without the variable crap on it. I changed the hoses to 95 replacement hydroboost hoses. Feels the same to me as the unplugged unit.

Last edited:

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Can someone just confirm for me that the 96 style (where the PS pressure hose makes a u-turn into the back of the pump) is basically a full time, full boost system?

What's the difference between a pressure hose that connects directly to the PS pump vs an EVO delete adapter? I'm replacing my pump and reservoir, got looking at the EVO delete, and honestly just going back to the 96 style seems way simpler to me

Edit: will be using the stock 98 steering box, but can get a 96 steering box if needed/recommended

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can someone just confirm for me that the 96 style (where the PS pressure hose makes a u-turn into the back of the pump) is basically a full time, full boost system?

What's the difference between a pressure hose that connects directly to the PS pump vs an EVO delete adapter? I'm replacing my pump and reservoir, got looking at the EVO delete, and honestly just going back to the 96 style seems way simpler to me

Edit: will be using the stock 98 steering box, but can get a 96 steering box if needed/recommended

I just did the EVO delete on my red truck, there are two ways to go about it. Either you can use your factory power steering pump/lines and buy the GM EVO delete kit (which is what I did), or switch to a '96 pump and pressure line. There was nothing wrong with my pump so I figured it didn't make sense to swap it out right now, but if it ever dies I'll probably use a '96 pump and line just to eliminate the extra potential leak spot that the EVO delete kit introduces. If you're replacing the pump anyway then I'd just use the '96 stuff.

Deleting the EVO does provide a constant boost level, but means you'll have a little more assist at highway speeds than a functioning EVO system will have. It's not terrible (nothing like just unplugging the column sensor and much better than random boost changes from a failing system) but I definitely noticed a difference. I've seen other members here mention that you can correct this with a different steering box but I haven't looked into it much yet, it doesn't really bother me now that I've gotten used to it.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
I just did the EVO delete on my red truck, there are two ways to go about it. Either you can use your factory power steering pump/lines and buy the GM EVO delete kit (which is what I did), or switch to a '96 pump and pressure line. There was nothing wrong with my pump so I figured it didn't make sense to swap it out right now, but if it ever dies I'll probably use a '96 pump and line just to eliminate the extra potential leak spot that the EVO delete kit introduces. If you're replacing the pump anyway then I'd just use the '96 stuff.

Deleting the EVO does provide a constant boost level, but means you'll have a little more assist at highway speeds than a functioning EVO system will have. It's not terrible (nothing like just unplugging the column sensor and much better than random boost changes from a failing system) but I definitely noticed a difference. I've seen other members here mention that you can correct this with a different steering box but I haven't looked into it much yet, it doesn't really bother me now that I've gotten used to it.
On paper the EVO system make a lot of sense to me, but at the same time my first experience with these trucks was my dad's 96 K1500 and I never felt like I wasn't in control of the vehicle at highway speeds (could have something to do with all the slop in that trucks steering won't lie lmfao).

I also have to think about my brakes though since I just did a hydroboost swap. If I kept the EVO, wouldn't that mean that at higher speeds there would actually be less brake boosting since there's less PS pressure?