1998 C1500 Silverado: EVO delete: Pressure hose question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splat

Reaction score
Hello. I'm replacing the power steering pump on my brother's 98 C1500 and was looking into deleting the EVO unit but unsure about the pressure hose needed. The pumps I'm looking at are the EDELMANN 6140R (supposedly has the bypass fitting already but doesn't show in pictures) or the BBB INDUSTRIES N7312262BP. Now I've read that I would have to use a non-evo earlier year model pressure hose because I think it's shorter and I've read that no change in pressure hose is needed when using a pump with the evo bypass fitting installed. Confused here. :banghead: Do I use the pressure hose my truck uses with the evo setup or go with an earlier year/shorter non-evo pressure hose? Thank you.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello. I'm replacing the power steering pump on my brother's 98 C1500 and was looking into deleting the EVO unit but unsure about the pressure hose needed. The pumps I'm looking at are the EDELMANN 6140R (supposedly has the bypass fitting already but doesn't show in pictures) or the BBB INDUSTRIES N7312262BP. Now I've read that I would have to use a non-evo earlier year model pressure hose because I think it's shorter and I've read that no change in pressure hose is needed when using a pump with the evo bypass fitting installed. Confused here. :banghead: Do I use the pressure hose my truck uses with the evo setup or go with an earlier year/shorter non-evo pressure hose? Thank you.
The delete kits usually have a C shaped piece of tubing that relocates the pressure port to the same location as the OE EVO fitting allowing use of the stock hose. If I were changing the pump, I would get a 95 pump and hose. That eliminates an added point for future leaks, one less connection and one less o'ring.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a '92 pump and hose on my '98 Suburban and It has been fine for several years now.

On the 87 G20, I put the stock 87 G20 pump on the Vortec bracket. The earlier pumps bolt right on. The later model LS truck pulley presses right on as well, allowing you to remove the pump without first removing the pulley.

You must be registered for see images attach

Splat

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I went with a 95 pump and hoses. Hopefully it all lines up ok.

Splat

Reaction score
Well, the pump from a 95 C1500 didn't work for my 98. The return tube coming out the back of the pump was placed differently. No way could I use the bracket that bolts to the back of the pump and is secured at the side and front of the engine. Also, the pressure hose from the 95 at the end that screws to the gear box is shaped differently and gear box or oil cooler hoses. I switched the guts out of the old and new pumps and have the pressure port adapter for the pressure hose. I think I will make up an adapter line like GM sells and get the 98 pressure hose and be done with it. I hope. :banghead:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I've read that a '96 pump and hose is what you want to use if you're trying to do the EVO delete without using the GM delete kit.

Splat

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did find Dorman makes the EVO delete/adapter 926-049 and of course Amazon has it. So I ordered that and the pressure hose for '98. The old hoses I cut the tubing to make pump removal easier.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I’m in the same boat ‘ my 99 suburban has the evo it leaks slightly . I was wondering for those who know if my pump bracket on a 99 suburban will directly bolt on a 92-93-94-95 pump ? I too do not feel it’s a good Idea to use the Dorman replacement fix is rather use a solid line and pump from a pre 97