1998 C1500 Silverado: EVO delete: Pressure hose question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The spring is 05688037
The control valve is 07809221
The fitting is 26009894

EDIT- the spring is the same part number, so you already have the correct spring.

So you only need the control valve and fitting.

Both the control valve and fitting are discontinued from GM. Best bet is a 1980 through 1996 GM product with a steering gear box without hydroboost. These parts look consistently used even in stuff like a 1982 Caprice. Should be easy to get your hands on them. Basically I was correct when I said get the control valve and output fitting from anything GM that does not use hydroboost or a rack and pinon. Also FYI to make the hunt easier, Dodge trucks and vans through the 90s and into the early 2000s used them too.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Disclaimer, I have not installed any of this yet so I'm not 100% sure if it works but I'm pretty confident it will. Pretty sure my pump is leaking and I didn't want to mess with swapping any of the fittings, so I just bought a '96 pump and pressure line to delete the EVO on my red '97 C1500. Parts I bought are as follows:

Edelmann 6023R power steering pump (new): $126.99
Sunsong 3401439 pressure line: $19.11
Sunsong 3404946 return line (just in case my cooler has an issue): $11.24
Cardone 3P25160 power steering pulley: $20.79

All this was purchased from RockAuto.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW the Dorman delete kit has good reviews on Amazon and the more expensive GM kit is also available there. Either way it will probably be over boosted, you can look the thread by up @sewlow He used an adjustable fitting.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW the Dorman delete kit has good reviews on Amazon and the more expensive GM kit is also available there. Either way it will probably be over boosted, you can look the thread by up @sewlow He used an adjustable fitting.

My 97 van and 99 Tahoe were not overboosted with the EVO solenoid unplugged. Just drove like any of the older GM trucks or cars.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 97 van and 99 Tahoe were not overboosted with the EVO solenoid unplugged.

Both of my '97s were extremely over-boosted with the column sensors unplugged, but felt fine with the GM EVO delete kits installed in place of the EVO solenoids. My only beef with the delete kits is the extra potential spot for a leak. The one on my Suburban has been fine but the one on my red truck is leaking, hence the '96 parts going on there.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both of my '97s were extremely over-boosted with the column sensors unplugged, but felt fine with the GM EVO delete kits installed in place of the EVO solenoids. My only beef with the delete kits is the extra potential spot for a leak. The one on my Suburban has been fine but the one on my red truck is leaking, hence the '96 parts going on there.
Steering assist is a very subjective conversation. I would argue that any of the EVO pump setups were far under assisted at highway speeds. Coming from older GMs and going to the newer EVO setups I have always hated the EVO feel and the first thing I did was unplug the solenoids. Unplugging the solenoid made them feel like a properly functioning older GM steering system. With the EVO plugged it they feel like an older system with low fluid, slipping belt, or a weak pump.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97 van and 99 Tahoe were not overboosted with the EVO solenoid unplugged. Just drove like any of the older GM trucks or cars.
Are you saying it drove like a TBI truck ? as I have heard good and bad about unplugging the sensor.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually doing some more digging, the EVO control valve was actually used on earlier vehicles with hydroboost like a G30 van with a 6.5L diesel. As such should not be an issue keeping the control valve either. It probably has a bit higher pressure but nothing crazy. That probably explains why my hydroboost works so well on the Van and Tahoe with the OEM pumps. The EVO pumps already have the older hydroboost control valves in them.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you saying it drove like a TBI truck ? as I have heard good and bad about unplugging the sensor.
Yep drove like a TBI truck, C10, older G-van or my 1988 Fleetwood. I hated the EVO feel even when these trucks were new and disabled it. The EVO parts are actually still in place on both my Express and Tahoe, the system is just disabled. It is a 15-30 second process to unplug the solenoid to get a feel for what it drives like disabled. Takes longer to crawl under the truck and get back up than it does to unplug or plug the solenoid back in.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I have read you do not need the 96 pump but a 96 gearbox. I believe @east302 said the same about one of his vehicles or again @sewlow had an adjustable fitting.