Electric water pump on daily

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats your thinking? What advantage is there for you? How is it a better egineered idea than what GM did?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest advantage an electric water pump gives is the ability to circulate without the motor running. In a race car (drag racing particularly) running an electric water pump and an electric fan can cool the motor in the pits.
There's really no benefit to running one on a street car as discussed above.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electric pumps don't flow as much as a mechanical pump at higher rpms. I forget where the crossover is, but I think it was something like below 3500 rpms the electric pump flows more, but above that the mechanical pump flows more. You might need a higher ouput alternator as well, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electric pumps don't flow as much as a mechanical pump at higher rpms. I forget where the crossover is, but I think it was something like below 3500 rpms the electric pump flows more, but above that the mechanical pump flows more.
More flow at higher rpm can be a bad thing. My RX-7 would cavitate the water pump over 8000 rpm, so I had to switch to a smaller crank pulley to prevent it. Cavitation causes momentary overheating and also tears up the water pump.