Electric water pump on daily

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think instead of an electric water pump, thermostatically controlled electric fans are a better option, including a properly rated/functioning thermostat with a good radiator.

Increasing turbulence (without air in the system) is actually more efficient than a slow "laminar" flow through the system... so you would probably want the increased flow of an engine driven pump.

This thread reminds me of a guy that would drive his pickup ALL SUMMER LONG with the heat cranked up and fan on high to "help the engine", while he and his passengers kept getting sick from heat stroke, lol. (Everyone has ideas)

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I only recommend electric water pumps for 92-97 LT engines.

On those, when the water pump dies it sprays the distributor and kills it so it payed for itself.

The timing chain goes from a $200 chain to a $50 chain because you no longer need the gear to drive the water pump.

And oh yeah they make 10 hp at the rear wheels!

But if it fails you go home in a tow truck because there is no "pick one up and put it on in the parking lot" like you can with a mechanical pump.

As for electric fans I always recommend them if they fit in the budget. Except for stationary engines and low speed vehicles.

In most cases you don't need a fan above 30 mph/ 50 kph.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unclear how one would install an EWP on a Vortec motor anyway.
Meziere was going to make me an electric pump they once made with a serpentine belt idler on the front to go on my Express. Then I discovered that my march pulleys that 33% underdrive the pump result in minimal hp loss anyway. Mechanical pumps pump more pressure, which resists localized hot spots in the block, coolant flashing to steam in those hot spots and thermal cracking. The mechanical pump at higher rpm generates about 100 psi of pressure under the head gaskets.