Door Alignment and Wind Noise on my 88 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the 18+ years I've owned my 88 C1500 it's always had some wind noise coming from the passenger's side door. I was just looking at the rubber weather stripping on both doors and they all look good. Then I noticed the passenger's side was high as apposed to the B pillar. If I had slop in the hinges it would droop right?
You must be registered for see images attach

The gap is also off

The driver's side gap is aligned right and it is level on the top.

The upper/rear of the passenger door seems to be where the wind noise is coming from, maybe because it isn't lower thus sealing against the weather stripping? Looking at the hinges, I don't see any way to adjust them, they look like they're probably welded in place and then caulked to protect them from the elements? Does anyone have an idea on how to adjust the door or should I just add some weatherstripping (kind of hokey but better than the annoying wind noise)?

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replace the pins and bushings (less than $10 per door) start with that. You can put your knee on the door and tug on the top with your window down. Sometimes only way to adjust stuff is a little pull and push

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No adjustment in the hinges. My door was bent down, and I had to use a jack to lift it back into place. (IE bend it back up) Maybe someone did that to yours and took it a little too far? It doesnt look all that bad to me.

I have brand new seals, Adjusted doors, and no slack in the hinge and I still get some wind noise.

Perhaps it is your window seals? They don't seal great from the factory. The doors have huge holes in them inside your door cards, I am still working on sealing most of that up and sound treating.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try adjusting the striker post down a little bit. If you don't know the history of the truck many things could have happened , a replacement door off another truck, somebody bent the door instead of replacing bushings etc. The factory hinges were welded. Factory replacement hinges were bolt on. Welded ones can be drilled off and bolted back on so they can be moved a bit. Sometimes the door can be tweaked to fit the hole better. It all depends on how far you want to get into it

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And if the pins or bushings were bad the door would sag, not be too high, IMO?

I would assume so. However I would definitely check the hinges for slop. Possible that the hinges are toast, and someone bent the door way up to compensate and didn't replace the hinge pins/bushings.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try adjusting the striker post down a little bit.
I can try that but the door closes so easy where it's at. The driver's door is a little harder to close, maybe because it's sealing on the weather stripping more that the right side door?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the option of adding some after market weather stripping? Something just a little taller than OEM? Anyone ever do that?