Door Alignment and Wind Noise on my 88 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That one you posted is for furniture & is woven so that it flexes.
This one is for auto upholstery is a solid one piece that is much firmer in order to hold the shape better.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Poly-Flex-Foam-Welt-Piping-Cord-WHITE-10-YARDS/131753324159?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=08dcbd1e8c67459e94e5bd8d71caa65c&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=282170537609&itm=131753324159&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Wasn't thinking about furniture stuff when I posted.
I'm an auto interior guy & I don't think much about furniture. Although, I have done a fair amount. I just prefer not to think about it!

Nobody likes to think about work when they are at home on the computer. I really appreciate your posts and I personally am glad you have shared so much from your professional knowledge on here. I have saved your detailed post on headliners and several other things in my infamous truck folder. Thanks for posting the difference between the furniture grade piping and the other stuff. I will order the harder material. Great trick for renewing those door gaskets.

Texvet

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The door seals are hollow. They can collapse over time & don't seal properly.
I took some 5/32" polyester piping (welt) cord (Cheap from an upholstery shop. I buy 500yard rolls of the stuff. Pennies per yard.) and shoved down into the length of the hollow. Wrapped some tape around the ends to increase the diameter of the cord so it wouldn't come out. Then cut flush to the ends of the seal. That cut down a lot of the wind noise. Just have to close the door a bit harder.

Is the piping stiff/ridged enough to push it all the way through the weatherstrip? Did you install the piping with weatherstripping on the truck? Thanks

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes & yes!

This may be a stupid question - on my truck there's 2 different weatherstrips, a big one that looks to be for deflecting water to the front and ends at the rear top corner. The other one below that goes all the way up the front and down the rear. I'm thinking the latter one is where we want to install piping?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question - on my truck there's 2 different weatherstrips, a big one that looks to be for deflecting water to the front and ends at the rear top corner. The other one below that goes all the way up the front and down the rear. I'm thinking the latter one is where we want to install piping?

Yes. The latter one. The long one that has the hollow tube/bulb which collapses against the door when it's closed.

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, sounds like another solution.

BTW - I have to ask, your name "Armalite15", does that have anything to do with a weapon? I ask because I have an Armalite AR-18A with a 2X flip down scope. When the US was looking to replace the old M-14 (or was it the M-1?) it came down to the AR-18A and the Colt M-16. They both shot the NATO round 5.56X45 (.223) but the Armalite has a collapsing stock with the action springs in the forearm. IMO was a better weapon but, it was made in England. Same thing with the Beretta 92FS, the US Military agreed to adopt it IF Beretta agreed to manufacture them in the US. I have a (5 digit SN) 92FS stainless made in Italy - a lot tighter than the US made, unfortunately.

Enough waxing eloquently - I just finished my Friday night New York and a 1/2 (more or less) bottle of Merlot, LOL.

Yep AR enthusiast you might say. Some retro some more modern I like them and enjoy building and shooting.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While waiting for the piping to arrive and since I already bought this weatherstripping @ Oreilley's for ~$12 w/tax. I figured, why not.
You must be registered for see images attach

I looked at the OE weatherstripping and noticed there's a dirt/dust trail in the corner. Thinking maybe that's a sign of a leak, I decided to start there.

I cleaned an area from the middle top back around to near the door latch pin. And stuck it on - goes around corners pretty easy. This stuff sticks to anything!

I took the truck out for a test drive; it was quieter but I could still hear some wind noise. So, I went back and stuck some more from the middle top around the front to near the top door hinge where to OE meets itself (yeah, it goes all the way around the door frame). I took it out for another drive - better but I think it can be even better. I went back and cleaned up the rest of the OE stuff along the bottom up front to the end of my front piece.

I used up the last of the roll going down the front and back along the bottom. Guess what? 10' insn't enough, LOL.

I took the truck back to Oreilley's and bought another roll to finish it off. Going to and from it was a lot quieter than when I started! I took it out on I-10 @ 85 MPH, it was noticeably quieter than before. After I completed that corner the door was quite a bit harder to close than any other time. I didn't take it back out for a drive - it was time to eat. Hope this helps others thinking of doing something like this. I think it was a success and it doesn't look too hokey, ha ha. When I get the piping in I'll do the driver's side which has a lot less noise but could use some help.