Do you think it can do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black97305

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a 28 foot Holiday Rambler travel trailer. Would be towing it with my 97 k1500 305, I do have trailer brakes and would get a weight distributing hitch if I get the trailer. Basically I would like some opinions on if you think this truck could handle it. After I graduate high school I will be looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton 454 or possibly a gmt800 or 1000, a really nice 7.3 or a hemi haven't been completely ruled out yet either. This camper would be mostly used for deer and turkey seasons towed at a maximum 800 miles a year once in the spring and twice in the fall.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks,
Dan

Oh I just found this too

1997 K1500 5L .....
GVW 6600 lbs
Maximum Payload 1375 lbs.
Maximum Tow Capacity 5500 lbs.

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
A gmt800 or 1000 wtf is that? Lol and thats going to be VERY slow going the older the camper the heavier that thing is ancient and 800 miles is a long way. Plus 305s are dogs imo

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
It will tow it, will be sluggish on the hills. On the trailer, check the bearings and brakes...plus the tires

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
28 foot is doable on a new trailer. That thing is going to weigh a lot! Just because you can tow it doesn't mean you should.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look at the factory weight sticker to see what your truck is rated for. There are several online calculators that will take the numbers from your sticker and the same numbers from your camper and tell you if you're OK or not. Keep in mind that everything you add for accessories and people takes away from your available payload.

I will tell you that I've got a 27' travel trailer that is new and weighs in at 3,800lbs, with cargo it's up around 4,500lbs. According to the stickers on my Yukon ('99, 5.7l, tow package with 3.73 rear end), I have about 800lbs of weight available but I wouldn't want to tow any more than I already am. It would do it, but it wouldn't be that much fun.

Looking at the picture of your camper, it definitely isn't a lightweight unit. I think it will be over the capacity of your truck.

black97305

Reaction score
My plan is to just outright buy a new truck in about a year and give my sister a damn good deal on this one. Here is a more recent picture of the truck and one of our current camper, it is about 4000 pounds dry and the truck handles it very well we just got back from a 300 mile round trip with cruze set at 80.

black97305

Reaction score
My plan is to just outright buy a new truck in about a year and give my sister a damn good deal on this one. Here is a more recent picture of the truck and one of our current camper, it is about 4000 pounds dry and the truck handles it very well we just got back from a 300 mile round trip with cruze set at 80 handled perfectly.

Last edited: