Do you think it can do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're estimating it to be 6k pounds, then your truck isn't safe to tow it. It's more than getting it going, it's also stopping.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yoh think that other camper only weights 50% more than that pop up? Lol

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Just IMO, if you want to tow that camper, you need a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton. That camper will be heavier than you think...

Will it pull it? Probably, but you're going to get terrible MPG's and you are going to brake something if towing it regularly.. if the truck isn't set up with trailer brakes and a trans cooler i think you will grenade a truck that isn't set up to tow.

If you do, you will want to monitor the transmisison, and add a brake controller and overloads or 3/4 ton springs.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Also i wouldn't tow anything in cruise control btw. Bad idea.

You aren't suppose to tow in O/D ether, but i will admit i've pulled a Bobcat with my 454 in O/D before, however i manually shifted it from third gear to O/D once i built up the speed on the interstate.. but the 4L80E is built to handle a little more abuse than a 4L60E

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I find towing in cruise sometimes unnecessarily shifts down. I can hold it in 3rd a lot better without.
Don't tow in OD for sure.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Supposedly according to the manual you are suppose to tow in 3rd not O/D, and cruise would allow it to shift into O/D. I don't mind the transmission dropping into O/D, but i want to manually do it.. which is why i shift from 3rd to O/D when i'm ready for it to do so..

i guess I could use cruise if I was towing on flat land, but don't like the idea of leaving it in cruise going up and down hills.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Wrong cruise does not allow OD if you have it in 3rd