Did I tell y’all I replaced my water pump?!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
My homemade tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What tool might that be, ha ha? Or am I missing something here? You know I'm getting old...

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I replaced two last year, one if the wife's truck and then on mine. Turns out my bum water pump is why my truck would randomly "try" to overheat when the temps were less than 20F and I went straight on the freeway; guess the waterpump wasn't circulating coolant effectively above a certain RPM so hot coolant never really got to the thermostat before the temps would creep to 260F.

Really easy job on these, not so much on a Ford.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced two last year, one if the wife's truck and then on mine. Turns out my bum water pump is why my truck would randomly "try" to overheat when the temps were less than 20F and I went straight on the freeway; guess the waterpump wasn't circulating coolant effectively above a certain RPM so hot coolant never really got to the thermostat before the temps would creep to 260F.

Really easy job on these, not so much on a Ford.
Good lord man nothing is easy on a Ford.. even selling them is difficult. :D

After doing the radiator and then later the water pump on my wife's (then-girlfriend) 5.0 Explorer, we dumped it and she started driving my '94 C2500LD, then later I got her the '06 Magnum SRT8. She missed having the truck so now she's in our other '06 Silverado SS. No damned Fords in our driveway, and if I can help it, never in our garage with me working on them again!

Richard

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Good lord man nothing is easy on a Ford.. even selling them is difficult. :D

After doing the radiator and then later the water pump on my wife's (then-girlfriend) 5.0 Explorer, we dumped it and she started driving my '94 C2500LD, then later I got her the '06 Magnum SRT8. She missed having the truck so now she's in our other '06 Silverado SS. No damned Fords in our driveway, and if I can help it, never in our garage with me working on them again!

Richard

Nope, especially when compared to the Chevy stuff. Yet.. We still like them. Her '92 C1500 is her first GMT400 that she didn't consider to be a bear to drive. The clutches were too stiff and taking off smoothly was too much of a challenge in the other two we've had but this one, the clutch behaves like it does on the Fords. She loves it. Hasn't required as much money to maintain so far either. We'll probably end up with another 1991 or 1995/96/97 F series in our drive at some point. It's Dodge trucks we have yet to try or warm up to...

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes GM made it easy to replace the water pump and the serpentine belt on these trucks. That split fan shroud is great as long as the speed nuts don't fall off or get out of place. Last January l did the pump and lower hose in my cousin's driveway, then in February replaced the pump again. O'Reilly warranty exchanged it ,no hassle there. That's why I use them, my favorite parts person is another gearhead girl and a third generation mechanic.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Seems ****** aftermarket parts are the bane of everyone's existence. It's sad that it's become normal to replace a part 2-3 times before you get a "good" one. Which is the big reason I prefer stuff that is easy to work on for those routine things. I've heard of people replacing heater cores 2-3 times on stuff where the whole dash has to come apart. Not fun, but at least on these turds it can be done in under an hour at a leisurely pace with minimal toolage. So the chances of ending up with "extra" parts and fasteners is fairly low.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was discussing the trifecta of stupid Ford tools with a friend this weekend. There's the mini-slide hammer for pulling spark plug tips out of 4.6 3 valve motors, the spark plug thread tool for 4.6 2 valves, and the pinion shaft lock bolt extractor for 8.8 rearends. I have two of the three tools. That said, when it comes to manufacturers, I'm fairly agnostic. OP, I too have a special water pump tool I built for my '99 Suburban.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I was discussing the trifecta of stupid Ford tools with a friend this weekend. There's the mini-slide hammer for pulling spark plug tips out of 4.6 3 valve motors, the spark plug thread tool for 4.6 2 valves, and the pinion shaft lock bolt extractor for 8.8 rearends. I have two of the three tools. That said, when it comes to manufacturers, I'm fairly agnostic. OP, I too have a special water pump tool I built for my '99 Suburban.
To hold the pump hub while you break the big fan nut loose?