Water getting in, HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlindsey19

Reaction score
More than likely you could have rust behind the top of the windshield that's allowing water to flood in by the windshield seal on the top. If the windshield has ever been replaced they take their razor blades and gouge the metal up. Then the scratch marks get rust and then from there it rusts out the pinch weld and you get a leak. My 94 C1500 and 98 Burban are the same way. Only way to fix it is have a body shop weld in new metal, replace windshield again, blend it and seal it up.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed a little bit of water was getting in around the windshield and soaking the headliner so I sealed it today
*You* sealed it up somehow? Or you had a glass shop remove your windshield (usually but not always breaking it,) clean and prep the surface, and apply new windshield urethane adhesive and reinstall the glass?

Because otherwise, that's the #1 suspect at this point.

Easiest way to rule it out, take some blue painter's tape and tape off the edges of the glass all the way around, hit it with the water hose, see if you still have a leak. If the tape stopped it, then go ASAP to have a glass shop do it correctly.

Richard

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is actually the windshield itself leaking, and you've got a long weekend, glass shops will also come to you and remove windshield, leave and let you fix any underlying issues behind the glass, and then come back later to reinstall.

edit: also, if it is the cowl screw leaking and the cowl panel itself is cracked/missing, LMC has all 3 of the panels.

Last edited:

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
*You* sealed it up somehow? Or you had a glass shop remove your windshield (usually but not always breaking it,) clean and prep the surface, and apply new windshield urethane adhesive and reinstall the glass?

Because otherwise, that's the #1 suspect at this point.

Easiest way to rule it out, take some blue painter's tape and tape off the edges of the glass all the way around, hit it with the water hose, see if you still have a leak. If the tape stopped it, then go ASAP to have a glass shop do it correctly.

Richard
I agree with this, but attempting to lessen the damage temporarily by using flowable silicone until I can pay someone to do this is a responsible choice in my opinion. $7 to hold me over is worth any gains here rather than doing nothing till I can get it done right