Deleting cat=loss of low end torque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amrush2112

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one of those exhaust systems that has a few issues with it. Has a few pinholes but is bone stock. So I don't align so well with those that throw arms around a tree with deep fondness and frown down on others for even thinking of things that would be different. But here are my thoughts on this one. In Texas (where I reside) you have emission testing in some counties that is required for annual state inspection....until the vehicle reaches 25 years of age. At that point it is no longer required to pass emissions testing, only safety inspection. My truck has 1 year to go then it will be at that 25 year mark. In that year I will not be residing in one of those emissions testing counties. So being older than dirt and remembering the days when cars did not have these items and they ran just fine I am of the mindset less is more. I consider all engines an air pump. What goes in must come out. So by making it less restrictive then that should equate to better torque, hp, and mileage. I don't plan on trying to change the world with my efforts nor do I expect that it will have any impact whatsoever either. I am sure that I am going to get lambasted for posting this but just remember.....I am complying with the STATE law in which I reside 100% and after that expiration then it is NOT REQUIRED! And if that just rubs a few raw...then I will drive my old muscle car as a daily driver like I did some 30 odd years ago just fine and it definitely doesn't have cats!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.I am complying with the STATE law in which I reside 100% and after that expiration then it is NOT REQUIRED!
The ENTIRE array of emissions-control devices is REQUIRED by FEDERAL law.

All you have going for you is that your state isn't going to inspect for them.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice! Something to be said for low cost and no BS!
Bringing my thread back from the dead! There is a power gain removing the stock cats. Now, I can't compare this to a high flow cat, but with the stock exhaust system and no cats, the truck will gain torque and you will notice it when towing. Combined with a black bear tune, and electric fans, I gained a very noticeable power increase and better gas mpg. Simply put, my truck doesn't work as hard as it used to.

amrush2112

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bringing my thread back from the dead! There is a power gain removing the stock cats. Now, I can't compare this to a high flow cat, but with the stock exhaust system and no cats, the truck will gain torque and you will notice it when towing. Combined with a black bear tune, and electric fans, I gained a very noticeable power increase and better gas mpg. Simply put, my truck doesn't work as hard as it used to.
That makes sense. I am still running the stock fans and don't really have plans on changing those for now. Eventually I plan on changing heads, cam and full length headers but for now just a tune and change the exhaust. Thanks for the feedback!

amrush2112

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you recall what the mpg improvement was?