Deleting cat=loss of low end torque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
yeah your right I'm sorry. it definitely depends on the tune. sometimes I forget shìt and it drives me crazy. sorry guys.

At my old job I used to drive a 2009 6.7 cummins that was fully deleated and was absolutely supped up as much as it could be, tuner on the steering colume.

it surprisingly was built for fuel economy, got crazy mileage and never blew black smoke despite the no muffler and stupid loud straight pipes.

man was it ever fast as hell!

I put a Demon up for a pretty good fight one night but backed off before things got stupid.

I hated those fùkers weaving in and out of traffic.

I miss that truck but NOT the amount of money it took to keep that beast maintained.

ya you're right.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the catalytic converter theft going on...

The reason I’m deleting them is because of theft. We have had a few vehicles by my work have theirs stolen. I’m only doing this because if I don’t remove it, someone will probably do it for me…

I’m not deleting the cats to be cool or make more power. It’s because of theft. My truck is lifted, and sits in a parking lot for 10 hours. 3 rigs have already had theirs taken. It’s only a matter of time…
Welcome to the "Defund the Police" paradise. Maybe there's a Catalytic Converter Autonomous Zone.

Time to move somewhere respectable.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should just leave the cats until they cause drivability issues.
I had a Yukon which was mysteriously down on power until I had the cats removed. They clogged because it was an oil burner.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the "Defund the Police" paradise. Maybe there's a Catalytic Converter Autonomous Zone.

Time to move somewhere respectable.
Yeah Portland is ridicules… Washougal isn’t bad. Just cats, but that seems to be a problem everywhere.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that you gained a little bit without them, baring the right mufflers and exhaust.

I inherited my 93 with duals running into a dual muffler with no cat out of 2” tips, and that was done with mindset of using the truck to haul cattle.

I took it to true dual with two single chamber mufflers with no cats with 4x18” tips because ‘high school’, but after that I took it back to two in / two out with the same tips to quiet it down, again no cat.

I really can’t recall much change between them all. I will say that my dads 92 still has the factory exhaust and his “feels” heavier on the bottom end, but only through the pedal. Really not sure if there is much difference between the two, they are inside of 25K miles between them.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the old days cats were pretty restrictive. These days not so much.

To the OP - if you just want to take them off to prevent them being stolen, what would you do with them then? Sell them? If you're keeping them, why not just leave them alone and deal with it IF they get stolen?

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove your factory cat, replace with aftermarket since they can't be recycled . Only the metal case is recyclable, the inners are not.

There is no recycling for the inners , the market isn't there for it yet....no precious metals inside.

Doug in P.R.