Deleting cat=loss of low end torque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poutine

Reaction score
i always tought that high flow cats were the solution maybe someone can confirm or deny it.
what i can confirm is that without exhaust my truck is bad !! the exhaust is cut after the cat and feels like **** haha

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the old days cats were pretty restrictive. These days not so much.

To the OP - if you just want to take them off to prevent them being stolen, what would you do with them then? Sell them? If you're keeping them, why not just leave them alone and deal with it IF they get stolen?
Well, if they get stolen, I will have to drive my truck home with a HUGE exhaust leak. I will have to either replace them with new cats, or try to connect with my tuner to get him to tune out the rear o2 sensors, then get it fixed. Its just easier to plan on taking care of it on my own schedule. The truck will remain catless until idk... some regulations are put in place at metal recyclers so we can stop this problem. Require documented paperwork and vehicle information before any items can be accepted... Until then, I don't want people messing with my stuff.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're doing a 96 V6 to 5.3 LS swap and I was like hey if I can get a bunch of money for the old cat it would be nice to offset the cost of the new ones. It's worth about $25-$50 and a bunch of BS to go through.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I finally got the cats removed. It is a not a holy crap difference in power, but it is noticeable. The engine is a little more responsive and it feels like it makes toque a little quicker. Its got a little rumble to the exhaust too which sounds nice. I have the stock muffler. Not loud, just sounds cool.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
We're doing a 96 V6 to 5.3 LS swap and I was like hey if I can get a bunch of money for the old cat it would be nice to offset the cost of the new ones. It's worth about $25-$50 and a bunch of BS to go through.
Yes I tried to sell the old cats( whole assembly) off my other 99 Burb ( changed them a year before the wreck), and I couldn't find any places in greater Houston that would take them( even with documentation). Local scrapper only wanted to give me steel value which was less than $10.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well good luck. I completely disagree with your logic.
When they figure out how to stop cat theft, I will put them back on. I would have rather installed high flow cats. But, a truck parked next to mine had them stolen a few weeks ago. My friend had his stolen up in Seattle 2 weeks ago. I'm just being proactive.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Move if you live in a shìtty place filled with low lifes. I did. I moved from the city, tired of dealing with crackheads every day and picking up needles out of our backyard and from our kids toys. Low life POS waste of Skin Mother F'rs!

now we live in a paradise and people dont bug me at all.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't some of those cat theft guards be a thorough enough deterrent to stop the thefts? That is what they are for and I imagine far cheaper than new cats, right?

herkyhawki

Reaction score
If you have ever tried cutting wire rope with a hack saw, you can see why this might work. The customer photos posted in reviews of that site are a great help to show how they actually install.
Would it be possible to get the similar result with a couple standard muffler clamps (maybe oversized for the pipe), and a length of wire rope. Wrap the rope around cat and through clamps several times and tighten. This would cost much less than $193. Looking at my '98 with 5.7L, I'm thnking I'd have to cover quite a bit of exhaust pipe too (before and after Cats).