Define Slammed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have been planning to put a 5/7 drop kit on my truck. A friend here (Stroker52) turned me on to the DJM Suspension kits, and the plan was set. So tonight while I was researching helper bags I got to looking at the drop kits again and went to the page with the individual parts listed and found the following statement (in part):

Now you looking at a slam kit, a full 5″ front and 7″ rear that puts your 1-Ton down on the ground. A combination of spindles and coil springs up front provide the front drop. You can still align to factory specs so you won’t ruin those big expensive tires but you need to be more careful about how you drive! The front end is very close to the ground, great looks comes with some responsibility so just be careful.

My truck sits 18" from the floor to the bottom of the rockers in the middle of the truck, so it stands to reason that I'll still be sitting at about 11ish" after the installation. That's not exactly what I would call "slammed" nor is it anywhere close to be on the ground. Am I getting the terminology wrong or are they measuring the amount of drop in a different way... maybe they're not talking about overall height?

I'd really like to lower it down to a nice and level 10" or 11", but any lower than that would not work for me.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I'm not sure how they're measuring, but to me, slammed means atleast frame if not body is touching the pavement.

Everything else is just dropped.

-Powered by KABOOM Mobile-

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right, generally speaking a slammed truck is one that is generally bagged and lays frame. Where a lowered truck can be 2" or 6" etc, I wouldn't really call anything that wasn't bagged "slammed"!

Last edited:

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
measuring from the top of the fender well to the top of the tire will give you a idea on where the truck will set..

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK... so I'm right as far as what I was thinking. I guess the description on the DJM website is a little overstated. When I started reading about slamming to the ground and all that I thought I was going to have to back off my original plan.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK... so I'm right as far as what I was thinking. I guess the description on the DJM website is a little overstated. When I started reading about slamming to the ground and all that I thought I was going to have to back off my original plan.

But keep in mind, a 5/7 drop on a 2 wheel drive GMT400 truck will sit pretty low. Not laying frame or rocker low, but will be very low depending on your set up.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just went out and measured it... from the bottom of the wheel well on the front fender to the top of the tire is 5.5" and it's 7.75 on the rear... confirmed that I have 18" from the floor to the bottom of the rocker panel at the point where the bed and the cab meet.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These truck are slammed imo....

You must be registered for see images

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that I think about it I probably should have used a different title for the thread. When I was reading the product information and thinking about how tall my truck sits, the first thing that crossed my mind was how DJM was defining the word "slammed".