Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I wasnt able to follow up on that whole story.
A tweaker stole a moving truck and ran it into our local cell phone repeater.
The only good news is that he wasnt wearing a seatbelt.
I dont care at all about piercings.
I only care about crusty buggers and infections.
And friggen patchouli oil.
I am the guy who always tells everyone to go do whatever they want to do.
And you can go do any wild ******* crazy thing that crosses your mind.
Go ******* do it.
But you need to understand that personal hygiene and bathing and just taking care of yourself is a line that I just cant cross.
Friggen patchouli oil to to cover up your non bathing stench because you are a "free spirit" for ***** sake.
Its an unfair world folks.
But heres how it is.
Step 1. Take a shower and shave that scraggely little goat fuzz off.
Wash your ass for ***** sake.
Get a haircut.
Wear some clothes that dont make you look like a chump.
No flat brim hats, nothing with some other ********** name on it.
The whole key to getting laid when you are young is to be calm, collected, put toghether and standoffish.
Any fool can net baitfish.
The calm and collected man nets the life ruining big fish.
Cleanliness is next to godliness.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The building plans should be ready this week, and we’ll be able to make any final changes if need be.

Yesterday we met with another concrete contractor, Steven, who comes highly recommended by a local general contractor. He gave us a preliminary bid, based on square footage. It’s expensive, but still in the ballpark of what I expected.

The real challenge is the size of the tree stumps that have to be removed. The larger of the two is just over three feet in diameter. Steven said he’d have to rent a larger excavator than he has to dig them out, which of course will add to the cost. We should know tomorrow how much that will be.

It would be nice if we could simply move the building location over to avoid the stumps, but that’s not really not an option. Between the slope, proximity to the septic field, setbacks, and the driveway location, it’s pretty much where it needs to be.

The good news is that Steven can complete the slab within two months; the first contractor, Chad, couldn’t even get started for at least two months, and I believe there is a real risk that he could get further delayed, at a less than optimal time of year.

Looks like we might just go with Steven. That would get the project back on track, time-wise.

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have to figure on something like 10-20% cost overrun just because of chaos.
yes. I'm in construction and there are always cost overruns due to un-foreseen issues. This does not include owner requested changes. Fate favors those that are prepared.

What slab thickness did you settle on? @South VA

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to figure on something like 10-20% cost overrun just because of chaos.
I’m figuring on 10% as a working number. Could go higher, of course, but not as likely with a metal building as with a stick built structure.

In any case, it will be more than I want to spend, but so far is about what I expected to spend,.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes. I'm in construction and there are always cost overruns due to un-foreseen issues. This does not include owner requested changes. Fate favors those that are prepared.

What slab thickness did you settle on? @South VA
Four inches in the main slab, 12” footers, and probably 6” where the lift will eventually go.

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That fan's only for ventilation while welding or other stuff. It is pretty noisy. I have a 4' wide Portacool for summertime. It's nearly silent and really moves the air. It's also way too big to fit in my shop but I'm not giving it up.

I'd show up in person and ask to see where that is in the city code. It sounds like a case of jealousy.

I've cleaned a lot of shops, and I wouldn't tilt the floor. Of course, we usually had squeegees and teamwork that made it easier. "Lift with your airmen, not with your back."

For windows, how much is security a concern? I don't need windows, so I didn't put any on my shop. On my wife's shop we put small windows 4' up off the ground, and only on the sides that face the house.

I put 4 speakers up high in the corners of my shop and ran the wire to the stereo before I populated the shop. I also have a 36" 1080p TV with a Raspberry Pi keyboard computer above my toolbox. I can run music from either the stereo or the TV, but the stereo sounds much nicer.
The guy was a reputable contractor at the time... no reason not to believe him... not so much after getting caught red-handed by his wife with the hoe at the beach house!!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I’m figuring on 10% as a working number. Could go higher, of course, but not as likely with a metal building as with a stick built structure.

In any case, it will be more than I want to spend, but so far is about what I expected to spend,.
Everything is always more expensive than we want/would like it to be.....