Death Wheel Strikes Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll echo the point that tinnitus sucks so don’t overlook hearing protection. Years of running saws, grinders etc. I think finally caught up to me and in addition I’m now wearing a hearing aid in one ear. I wear hearing protection now any time I am working with power tools including when cutting the grass.

I think the worst relatable experience I had was being on my back MIG welding overhead and having a cherry red hot ball of slag manage to drop directly into my ear. Nothing like hearing it sizzle as I rolled around trying to get it to come back out. The pain was nauseating.

I’ve been fortunate not to have experienced the eye issues some have described, though I’ve gotten plenty of crap in them over the years. I need to be better about wearing safety glasses/face shield every time.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I think my tinnitus actually came from ear infections, left ear is certainly worse than the right. Loud music certainly hasn't helped though. Can't remember the last concert I attended without hearing protection, so my issues have to be self inflicted. Hard to turn it down at home when it doesn't hurt or sound funny to listen to it loud like it does at a concert or anywhere else. Only indication I get is that my ears ring like hell after a jam session. Oops. Haven't had one in a while though and am losing interest in hi-fi as a result of not wanting further damage. Yet that is rough because I love music. Trying to learn to listen at lower volumes. Yep, you certainly can pick out more detail and all that, but I love to feel that kick drum in my chest. It's always something.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My tinnitus is from being a wannabe Rock Star in my youth. I can ignore it somewhat if I don't think about it.
Yep. mine started in a early 80s garage band.
We were Zep, Ramones ,Early Techno, Punk, Thrash rock, Northwest retro wall of sound early surf rock New York Dolls
Grand Funk Railroad and on and on.

My good friend worked at a movie theater as the janitor.
So we kept all of our blood sweat and tears hard bought marshall stacks behind the curtains along with his drum kit.
Every Sunday he snuck is in the back door and we cleaned the theater so we could have some band time.
That nasty **** that is crusted on the floor after a movie is called "Cinemuck"
And to this day popcorn makes me cringe.
I was the big time rtythm player because I had an old Encore knockoff Les Paul.
And, I had band experiance because I played the trumpet.
And I owned half of the amps.
We actually got to a point where we were musically pretty tight and doing well.
The problem was nobody could sing.
Not in a rock way.
I can karioke the hell out of some Frank Sinatra or some Niel Diamond or even some Johnny Cash.
The voice is a actually a little bit easier to find.
Because I am doing it for me.
It becomes much more about why you went down that road, than who is looking at you while you go down that road.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll echo the point that tinnitus sucks so don’t overlook hearing protection. Years of running saws, grinders etc. I think finally caught up to me and in addition I’m now wearing a hearing aid in one ear. I wear hearing protection now any time I am working with power tools including when cutting the grass.

I think the worst relatable experience I had was being on my back MIG welding overhead and having a cherry red hot ball of slag manage to drop directly into my ear. Nothing like hearing it sizzle as I rolled around trying to get it to come back out. The pain was nauseating.

I’ve been fortunate not to have experienced the eye issues some have described, though I’ve gotten plenty of crap in them over the years. I need to be better about wearing safety glasses/face shield every time.
Yep. back when I was a pumpkin I was on a lift with a good friend of mine.
We had to torch the bottom flange out of a beam.
Overhead cutting without a plan is always a bad idea.
You really should never be in that situation.
Especially on a lift with no way out.
He hit it way too hot and that blob of slag went right down his coveralls and got caught and burned the end of his dick.
I had no idea what I was supposed to do.
I figured out that he was in shock pretty quick.
But that was Boy Scout training.
The construction industry hadnt provided any training at all.
He had a stroke from the shock.
The only thing that saved his life after being burnt in the dick while on a lift with a rookie idiot pumpkin was that the union safety guy was onsite and got him to the E.R.
Two weeks later a aprentice electrician was sent into the bottom of an elevator shaft to replace a ******* lightbulb and got crushed to death by the ****** idiot general contractor trying to show how good the elevators worked.
The kid was 21 years old
And it all makes me sick.
We dont have to live like this my friends.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So to keep track of stuff we've learned about out member base from these chat threads so far...

1.) We have a huge number of Nissan/Datsun fans for being a GM forum.

2.) A whole bunch of us have ringing in our ears.

:lol:
But we need a survey of how many Nissan owners have drug those cars home behind a Chevy truck..
Ill start with all off them many times.
My Maxima has more miles on the trailer behind the truck than it has on the road

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But we need a survey of how many Nissan owners have drug those cars home behind a Chevy truck..
Ill start with all off them many times.
My Maxima has more miles on the trailer behind the truck than it has on the road

This is making me think weird thoughts.

I owned my Maximas before I owned my trucks (The Maximas were my first two cars), so I never pulled a Nissan with a GM. But...

I drove both of my trucks many times before I owned either of the Maximas...

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
I have tinnitus in both of my ears; shooting shotguns, being 16, being a member of a punk band :Rock on:, and still not learning my lesson of listening to music at 100+ dB. Being that "sleep" is 3 hours (that's on a good night), and the rest is watching television, it doesn't effect my sleeping. I have somehow never got anything more than grass clippings, dirt, dog hair, and fists in my eyes. Oh and transfer case oil, that's a long story.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wow.. that's some "never forget it" type of disaster.

As long as men go to work there will be dangerous jobs to be done, though. Safety guys can't protect against every possible occurence. My job can be dangerous, for a number of reasons, but often it is just regular ol' routine. If I wasn't earning hazard pay for it.. well.. as I tell any new guy riding along with me as a trainee, you either gotta be a little bit stupid to do this work, or a little bit crazy. 20 years in I guess I'm more than a little bit of both.

Richard

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yep. back when I was a pumpkin I was on a lift with a good friend of mine.
We had to torch the bottom flange out of a beam.
Overhead cutting without a plan is always a bad idea.
You really should never be in that situation.
Especially on a lift with no way out.
He hit it way too hot and that blob of slag went right down his coveralls and got caught and burned the end of his dick.
I had no idea what I was supposed to do.
I figured out that he was in shock pretty quick.
But that was Boy Scout training.
The construction industry hadnt provided any training at all.
He had a stroke from the shock.
The only thing that saved his life after being burnt in the dick while on a lift with a rookie idiot pumpkin was that the union safety guy was onsite and got him to the E.R.
Two weeks later a aprentice electrician was sent into the bottom of an elevator shaft to replace a ******* lightbulb and got crushed to death by the ****** idiot general contractor trying to show how good the elevators worked.
The kid was 21 years old

Dhamn. That's why lock out tag out is a thing. But safety measures always seem to be reactionary- like nobody does anything preemptively and anyone who tries is dismissed or laughed at. Then someone gets injured or worse and all of a sudden it's a crisis..