Death Wheel Strikes Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys would probably think that by now I had documented my history of stupid pretty well.
No my friends. I am just getting started.
About ten years ago I was replacing the rotted out stringers and deck in an old fiberglass boat.
I was stirring up a batch of two part flotation foam and a little drop of that got in my right eyeball.
And it catalysed in my eye.
That stuff has an amazing expansion rate.
Off we go to the E.R.
My good friend took a magic marker and drew a spot on the palm of my hand and told me look at that spot and dont blink!
Which actually did help a bit.
That crap expanded in my eye and started foaming out.
And when that stuff reacts, it gets really damn hot
Yep. They but me in a head brace thing and picked at it and it only felt like gravel for about two weeks.
You would think that this would be enough to end this story.
Nope.
About 6 months later, I was doing an earthquake retrofit at a restuarant.
We had to move a couple of big heavy can shelves.
I grabbed the first shelve and yanked it sideways and turned my head.
When I did that, a glass one gallon jar of Thai chili sauce fell off of the other shelf and hit the tile floor and broke and bounced.
Just in time for me to turn around all slack jawed and take it right in the face.
Thai chili sauce down my throat, up my nose, in both eyes.
Im lucky, I didnt get any glass.
But I got all of that sauce. It knocked my hat off.
And I am hear to tell you that you really should not put Thai chili in your eye

The chef heard me using every possible swear word known to man and came running around the corner. Saw me holding my eyes and thought I had popped an eyeball out.
Had to call my wife to drive me home because my eyeballs were full of hot sauce.
The only good part of this was that I had a pretty miserable cold when this happened.
Snot ran out of me in various gross ways for a few hours after and then I didnt have a cold.
My eyes were puffed and leaking and my head looked like a boiled ham but I didnt have a cold anymore.
I dont recomend it.

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys would probably think that by now I had documented my history of stupid pretty well.
No my friends. I am just getting started.
About ten years ago I was replacing the rotted out stringers and deck in an old fiberglass boat.
I was stirring up a batch of two part flotation foam and a little drop of that got in my right eyeball.
And it catalysed in my eye.
That stuff has an amazing expansion rate.
Off we go to the E.R.
My good friend took a magic marker and drew a spot on the palm of my hand and told me look at that spot and dont blink!
Which actually did help a bit.
That crap expanded in my eye and started foaming out.
And when that stuff reacts, it gets really damn hot
Yep. They but me in a head brace thing and picked at it and it only felt like gravel for about two weeks.
You would think that this would be enough to end this story.
Nope.
About 6 months later, I was doing an earthquake retrofit at a restuarant.
We had to move a couple of big heavy can shelves.
I grabbed the first shelve and yanked it sideways and turned my head.
When I did that, a glass one gallon jar of Thai chili sauce fell off of the other shelf and hit the tile floor and broke and bounced.
Just in time for me to turn around all slack jawed and take it right in the face.
Thai chili sauce down my throat, up my nose, in both eyes.
Im lucky, I didnt get any glass.
But I got all of that sauce. It knocked my hat off.
And I am hear to tell you that you really should not put Thai chili in your eye

The chef heard me using every possible swear word known to man and came running around the corner. Saw me holding my eyes and thought I had popped an eyeball out.
Had to call my wife to drive me home because my eyeballs were full of hot sauce.
The only good part of this was that I had a pretty miserable cold when this happened.
Snot ran out of me in various gross ways for a few hours after and then I didnt have a cold.
My eyes were puffed and leaking and my head looked like a boiled ham but I didnt have a cold anymore.
I dont recomend it.

Sorry to chuckle but your story is kind of funny. Sorry it happen to you. But these stories highlight the need for safety glasses even when you don't think you need them.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. And everything else mentioned about by everyone else about PPE is so important.
I am a a safety fanatic.
And I rant about it often.
When you are young, it really doesnt seem that bad.
But it all adds up.
And it creeps up on you.
Slowly but surely.
The worst part of any trade i have ever been involved with is the rotten old deaf ******** ******** on the rookies and calling them ******* for wearing PPE.
And they really really dont get it when I kick them off the job.
Its the loss of vision in that eye, the lung problems from grinding anti fouling paint in the shipyards when they told me I was a ***** for wanting a friggen respirator so I didnt wear one while I ground copper and arsenic.
Broken bones, broken fingers,
Head injuries..etc.
And ******* Tinnitus.
You really do not want tinnitus.
It is a constant never ending high pitch whineing noise inside of your head that never stops.
I can ignore it during the day as long as I am around other noise.
But at night,
I cant sleep because of the head noise.
And I do appreciate the irony of it all.
I am not going to directly drop dead from any of the insane things Ive done.
Im going to drop dead because I cant sleep.
In hindsight, Taking 3 hits of acid and putting my head next to Ted Nugents floor amp might have been a bad idea.
But, fuckit. It was still awesome.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've developed some mild tinnitus as well. Pretty sure mine was brought on by loud stereos in my younger years, no joke. Take care of your ears folks, tinnitus does suck.

I've found that leaving a TV or radio on at a low volume helps me go to sleep sometimes. The background noise helps me ignore the tinnitus ringing.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tinnitus is from shooting, mostly shotguns, without ear plugs. I can't hear any high notes in my left ear, just my right one. It's funny how, when you shoot right handed, your left ear gets the bigger impact from the percussion of the rifle/shotgun. I'm just about ready to look into hearing aides.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Concerts, Garage band guitar. CNC punch presses.
Grinding. Driving with the window down.
Assorted variety pack of nerve damage.
I recently saw an internet post about taking the palms of both hands and putting them over your ears with your fingers at the back of your neck.
Then you snap your index fingers togetther on the base of your skull about 50 times.
Bang, bang, bang...
50 times
Do this before you sleep.
It actually does work long enough to quite the noise for awhile.
It is pretty amazing.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got off of the phone with my best friend on earth.
He lives in Montana and we havent seen each other in ten years.
But we talk every week.
He is the other accident prone part of my story.
He used to live in a house in Tacoma, Wa.
Behind his house was pretty much a big muddy swamp with about a 100 foot long drainage ditch the ran into a 3 foot diameter steel culvert pipe.
And his wife kept putting out food for the Canadian Geese.
So. Lots and lots of geese.
He had a Jack Russell Terrier and one day she got out and went nuts chasing the geese down that drainage ditch.
So my buddy goes running out to save his dog, the dog jumped out of the ditch and he slid face first all the way into that pipe and took the male goose with him.
So he is head first in that pipe with just his feet sticking out and that pissed off goose is beating the crap out of him.
It took four of us to drag him by the ankles out of that hole sliding in the mud and that big goose was pissed when he came out and went crazy on us.
We dont call him "Goose" because of the movie "Top Gun"

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've developed some mild tinnitus as well. Pretty sure mine was brought on by loud stereos in my younger years, no joke. Take care of your ears folks, tinnitus does suck.

I've found that leaving a TV or radio on at a low volume helps me go to sleep sometimes. The background noise helps me ignore the tinnitus ringing.
I cant leave the tv or the radio on at all.
It always ends up with either the news,
which is never good.
Or bohemian rhapsody.
No, I will not do the friggen fandango.
Fer ***** sake.
It causes an immediate Led Zepplin reaction and I cant stop it.
One thing that really does help, is to write a list of everything you need to do the next day.
Write it all down in detail and stick that note in your jacket so it goes to work with you the next day.
It will take a year or so.
But that habbit lets you sleep because your mind isnt chewing on it all night.
Im awake all night because of home invasions and car prowels and the ever popular Seattle arsonists.
So when my 79 year old mom and my wife are sleeping.
Im awake.
When the sun comes up.
I get a couple of hours of sleep.
And that is just how it is.
That is the world we live in and bitching and crying wont stop it.
It just is.
But if I hear one more damn Queen friggen song Im gonna loose it