Death Wheel Strikes Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a sliver in my eye the other day cutting off a rusted bolt from 1967 D100. I was wearing safety glasses and I was behind the guard on the grinder but a little piece ricocheted off something hit my cheek and then bounced into my eye. I'm going to be fine, but I had to get the eye doc to pull it out.

99% of the time I wear a face shield while grinding/cutting, and now it's going to be 100% of the time. Be careful folks.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Had that happen years back. Luckily it only grazed my eye n left a small scratch. Talk about an annoyance. 99.9% of the time at work we wear face Shields and 100% of time safety glasses. Some places I work gettin into the place to cut/grind is unsafe to have a face shield. Get hung up or stuck tryin to pull yourself out in an emergency. Those times I try to hide my face behind my arms or some other object.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m going to end up learning my lesson with something like this. I tend to be lazy or too much in a hurry and never wear hearing pro and rarely eye pro. It’s usually safety squints for me.
Spend all night in the E.R. waiting room holding your eyelid away from the eyeball so it hurts less, too young and dumb to know the real docs won't be there til the next morning, then they screw around all day before getting you in a room and saying "Oh you need to see the eye clinic and they close in 30 minutes" - hustle across the complex and get in just in time.. for them to pick the slivers out of your eyeball with a needle (don't move your eye!) and then buff the rust spots (they happen quickly) off your cornea with a dremel-like tool (really, don't move your eye!) .. yeah it'll change your attitude about it. ;)

FWIW I was simply sweeping up the shop and my big shop fan had got a little off balance, I guess it blew some small slivers out from where one of the self-tappers held the grille on, and they got me.

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wear eye protection and ear muffs 100% of the time when using the angle grinder. I've tried to consistently use a face shield, but it quickly ends up just collecting dust on my pegboard. I will try to remind myself to use it again.

Last I bought was that Uvex Bionic face shield from Amazon. It is highly rated. I certainly liked it more that the typical 3M version from the big box stores.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In my tool arsenal, the angle grinder, table saw and chainsaw are those tools I highly give respect to.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the urgent care doctor remembers you from the last time you had metal removed from your eye, you'll feel stupid, even if you were wearing safety goggles. Ask me how I know.

I buy safety gear in bulk and keep it everywhere. That limits the temptation to go without "because it's too far away". When it comes to cutting and grinding, I have a set of the Harbor Freight torch goggles with the flip-up shades busted off. They're great for grinding. www.harborfreight.com/oxyacetylene-goggles-set-2-pc-63355.html

Take care of your body. God only gives you one.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I loosened a tooth the same way - with a '69 Cadillac starter no less. The tooth tightened back up after a couple weeks, but my date that night looked at me funny when I showed up with a busted lip. Fortunately she saw past that and we ended up marrying.