Death Wheel Strikes Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve had tinnitus for years. I believe mine is from ear problems that mess with my equilibrium. One doc said equilibrium issue was likely menieres, another said likely central brain disorder. Haven’t seen another for it since. Like @thinger2 said, no use complaining a about it. It’ll still be there.

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My tinnitus is from shooting, mostly shotguns, without ear plugs. I can't hear any high notes in my left ear, just my right one. It's funny how, when you shoot right handed, your left ear gets the bigger impact from the percussion of the rifle/shotgun. I'm just about ready to look into hearing aides.
Yep. most of shooting has been a remington 870 with no hearing aids.
But I have also put a whole lot of 45acp down range and a bunch of 7.62 x 39.
Some revolvers but not much.
Carried a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag up in Alaska which made them the safest bears on earth.
Couldnt hit a bus with that thing.
You would think that it would cause a right ear problem.
A friend of mine has a theory that the sound wave impacts your skull and travels as a wave through the other side of your head.
And because of that wave, You start to loose your hearing in the close ear and your brain transferes it to the far ear in a attempt to save the close ear.
He also claims that the shock wave wraps around your head and impacts the far side in the same way that a tsunami has a much bigger impact on the lee side of an island than it does on the near side of an island.
This guy is very, very experianced.
He is also nuttier than a herd of squirells
so who knows.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Abused my ears so many different ways.. shooting various weapons w/o protection, loud concerts, loud stereos, etc. the tinnitus is terrible and constant. I can hear the ringing right now even with pretty good background noise going. I almost always have a fan running in the room for the noise, but I also dig the moving air instead of stagnant (probably a humidity thing, spending most of my life right here at home in SE TX.) It helps.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ear problems that mess with my equilibrium. One doc said equilibrium issue was likely menieres, another said likely central brain disorder.
I'm not a doctor. I've known several folks--including me--who have had equilibrium issues, either temporary or semi-permanent.

All of them (me too) needed to have the rocks in their heads re-set. "Epley Maneuver".

When the rocks settle down where they're supposed to be, the balance issue is G-O-N-E. And that can be nearly permanent, or recurring depending on head position; sudden sneezes, getting bumped in the elevator, etc. All of this is called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)

Your inner ear has Otoconia/canaliths. These are lil' crystals of calcium carbonate that are supposed to be captured in a "sac". The sac ruptures for whatever reason, and those crystals--rocks--get stirred-up. Then they get tangled in the hair cells of your ear, and the world goes upside-down for awhile. Getting them settled down again requires a SIMPLE procedure, which most folks can do themselves after a few visits to have it done professionally. And if this isn't your issue...there's no harm done by the procedure. You might not have relief, but it wouldn't make things worse.

There's two variations of the procedure--one for left ear, one for right. The professional knows which one you need depending on whether your eyes spin clockwise or counterclockwise when you're actually dizzy.

^^^No shiit. Real life. True story.
vestibular.org/article/diagnosis-treatment/treatments/canalith-repositioning-procedure-for-bppv/

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not a doctor. I've known several folks--including me--who have had equilibrium issues, either temporary or semi-permanent.

All of them (me too) needed to have the rocks in their heads re-set. "Epley Maneuver".

When the rocks settle down where they're supposed to be, the balance issue is G-O-N-E. And that can be nearly permanent, or recurring depending on head position; sudden sneezes, getting bumped in the elevator, etc. All of this is called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)

Your inner ear has Otoconia/canaliths. These are lil' crystals of calcium carbonate that are supposed to be captured in a "sac". The sac ruptures for whatever reason, and those crystals--rocks--get stirred-up. Then they get tangled in the hair cells of your ear, and the world goes upside-down for awhile. Getting them settled down again requires a SIMPLE procedure, which most folks can do themselves after a few visits to have it done professionally. And if this isn't your issue...there's no harm done by the procedure. You might not have relief, but it wouldn't make things worse.

There's two variations of the procedure--one for left ear, one for right. The professional knows which one you need depending on whether your eyes spin clockwise or counterclockwise when you're actually dizzy.

vestibular.org/article/diagnosis-treatment/treatments/canalith-repositioning-procedure-for-bppv/
I've had the procedure done before with no help. I've learned to live with it.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will say and I'm sure some of you will agree. Just a PSA for the younger crowd that might be reading this. If i knew how much it would hurt now I would have taken a lot better care of myself when I was younger. I haven't done as much damage to my body as some other users here but I've done enough that I wish I hadn't done.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Ill take that Shurkey. I will do damn near anything at this point.
I still have no problem at all walking the steel but I get vertigo and trip over my own feet in the damn parking lot.
Thanks for that. I will look into it.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still have no problem at all walking the steel but I get vertigo and trip over my own feet in the damn parking lot.

I’ve had tinnitus for years. I believe mine is from ear problems that mess with my equilibrium. One doc said equilibrium issue was likely menieres, another said likely central brain disorder. Haven’t seen another for it since. Like @thinger2 said, no use complaining a about it. It’ll still be there.
Yep. But dont ignore a pinched nerve as a potential problem either.
If you have any ongoing neck or shoulder pain that can also do it.
Sometimes, you can get some relief just by changing how you sleep and how you prop your head while you sleep.
I am a big guy. 6'4" 260 ish. And I have spent the last 18 years sleeping on one little sliver of the bed.
That part that my wife and the dogs and the cats left to me.
And sleeping on your side can really screw you up.
Our spines are not built for that.
The only thing I can recommend is the California King bed.
Not the waterbed.
Tried that, ended up stuffed between the waterbed and the siderail with cats and dogs sleeping on me.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im pretty sure I have EOSGID
Early Onset Gravel Impact Disorder.
Big head, small brain. Too much gravity.
Lots of slack tank sloshing around.
It explains my interest in geology.
I have early and close experiance with rocks