Cutting spindles on 95 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mech_Lyfe

Reaction score
What’s good peeps!? Anyway, my question is, can the front spindles be cut down? I got these new rims and the center cap sticks out, the dust covers have been flattened as much as they can. Has anyone done that? I was thinking of using a hacksaw and taking off the end a few threads ahead of the nut. What do you guys think?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
How 'bout a small wheel spacer? If a spindle that you modified fails (and I fully understand that cutting off a few threads shouldn't be a problem) you will be liable and the insurance won't cover it.

Mech_Lyfe

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

See in the first photo how it sticks out? Well after a few miles it works loose. The dust cover is already in, just about touching the spindle.

See how many threads are out past the cotter key? I was just think of bringing that in closer. It’s not load bearing, if anything it may cause problems when I go to resume the bearings, which will be awhile cause I just put all new a few months back.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen 1/4" spacers on Ebay. Ones that slide over the studs, won't cause a noticeable increase in track width, and once your wheels are on, your centercap will be flush.
Go that way before modifying the spindle.
Also, if your worried about loss of lug nut threads, you can install longer studs in the rotor.
Did that on my '99 Jimmy with a set of IROC slide over spacers, mounted up front. An additional 1/2" of threads gave my much more confidence in ripping the truck around a local rally course

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can you remove material from the center caps to make them sit flush or are they too thin?

Mech_Lyfe

Reaction score
I've seen 1/4" spacers on Ebay. Ones that slide over the studs, won't cause a noticeable increase in track width, and once your wheels are on, your centercap will be flush.
Go that way before modifying the spindle.
Also, if your worried about loss of lug nut threads, you can install longer studs in the rotor.
Did that on my '99 Jimmy with a set of IROC slide over spacers, mounted up front. An additional 1/2" of threads gave my much more confidence in ripping the truck around a local rally course
I’ll have to look into that. Thanks
Can you remove material from the center caps to make them sit flush or are they too thin?
Already did remove what could be removed.
Are those rims designed for a FWD?
Not that I’m aware of, they are rated for my truck. According to the wheel shop I went to that is. They seemed pretty knowledgeable. They only had a handful of options for me being that it’s a 5 lug and most everything today is a 6 lug.