Cutting spindles on 95 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Run a 1/4" spacer like was said it would not cause a noticeable track width issue. And you should get the center cap to sit flush. And it's not the thread for the spindle nut that is causing the issue it's the dust cap themselves you could try and find a shorter one. Or cut and weld the current ones cut a 1/4" out and reweld them to be shorter.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I’m aware of, they are rated for my truck. According to the wheel shop I went to that is.
I'd make them aware of the issue. Their reaction will tell you a lot about them. If they truly care, they'll try to make it right with you. If they don't care at all they'll shrug and walk away and immediately forget there's a fitment issue. At the least it's an opportunity for them to sell wheel spacers (as Nad recommended) along with the wheels to the next customer, so they should care.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They fit brother, it’s the center cover for the wheel that sticks out a bit. An I was thinking the tip could come off, considering it is cotter keyed…
With respect, if you're considering cutting the spindle, they don't fit. At least, not correctly. Use spacers and longer screws on the center caps?
I still stand by my statement that modifying the spindle is a terrible idea. I'm not a "no mods ever" kinda guy, nor am I above doing sketchy shyte, but I've experienced a wheel coming off while moving and it isn't fun. At all. You have zero directional control. You are just as likely to head into oncoming traffic as you are to head for the sidewalk, shoulder, curb, ditch, whatever....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you have the stock dust caps that have a cylindrical appearance, those are very difficult to squash flat enough to clear tricky center caps. There are some that are smaller dome shaped that can be flattened a little easier, just have to be careful you don't mash them so much they rub on the castle nut. Look for them in the Dorman/HELP aisle at the auto parts; I forget the part #. They also are somewhat of a loose fit so you may need to dimple the flange edge a tiny bit (from inside-out) to help them stay attached. I know this all sounds hokey but I've had great success with this on installing wheels with really "close" center caps that otherwise would not fit.

Next up you will need spacers; you don't necessarily need 1/4" as there are some that are a bit thinner so you'll have more lug nut engagement (SAFER) .. you may have to do some hunting. IIRC the thinnest slip-on spacers I found are the crappy-looking (but useful) generic type with two lug patterns on them, and you may need to carefully enlarge the holes on the 5x5 pattern as they didn't consider 14mm studs, they appear to have been made with the old squarebody or big car 5x5 that uses smaller studs.

You can do this without cutting your spindles, which is sketchy as hell. Me; I'd pick different wheels..

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also are somewhat of a loose fit so you may need to dimple the flange edge a tiny bit (from inside-out) to help them stay attached.
If you have to dimple the rim of a bearing cap, it's not going to seal and you'll be replacing your wheel bearing grease every 6 months. Putting RTV doesn't help much. I had a co-worker who never could get caps to seat and he always RTV'd them. I had to re-do a lot of them.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
this might sound absolutely crazy but hey I'm not opposed to trying crazy things. sometimes. its plastic right? why not heat them up in an oven until they are malleable and then push them on, deforming them ever so slightly and then instantly cool them down with a garden hose. the shape will be retained.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you have to dimple the rim of a bearing cap, it's not going to seal and you'll be replacing your wheel bearing grease every 6 months. Putting RTV doesn't help much. I had a co-worker who never could get caps to seat and he always RTV'd them. I had to re-do a lot of them.
While I'd be tempted to agree with you, the fit has proven to be grease-tight, it just doesn't feel like it seats well enough to stay in the hub over the long term. I ran those caps on a couple different trucks (to fit Centerline wheels with the O-ring cap) and never saw grease seepage, and never had wheel bearing issues. Literally just a few small bumps on the inside edge of the cap with a very small punch, I think I even used a small nail set once because I didn't have a punch handy. You can tell I don't use my nail sets for setting nails; I'm not a trim carpenter. :D

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not about grease getting out, it's about water getting in, contaminating the grease, and corroding the bearings. If you've gotten away with it, great, but I replaced a lot of bearings because they were rusting.