Computer dyno simulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't, I just find a random suburban cul-de-sac where I don't live, drop it in first and floor it. The more gears I can shift up into before it bogs, the more gooder my horsepowers are. And then I leave and never return. So far it's been very accurate. My horsepowers are in fact, good.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember reading about a few as a way to mix and match diff's parts , ie: cams, piston design , stroke and so fourth to get an idea of horsepower, torque , power band. It was few years ago. " Chevy Hi Tech " , " Popular Hot Rodding" the hot rod mags did articles and bench test.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't, I just find a random suburban cul-de-sac where I don't live, drop it in first and floor it. The more gears I can shift up into before it bogs, the more gooder my horsepowers are. And then I leave and never return. So far it's been very accurate. My horsepowers are in fact, good.
A time honored and effective way. Well done lad!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the popular Dyno-simulation paperback book, with a floppy-disc of "Dyno 2000" or somesuch software glued to the back cover.

That was fun for an evening. Never used it again.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Comp cams used to have Camquest free. Have played around with it some, but unless you have actual head flow numbers from your heads to input for a build I don't know how it could ever be even remotely close to accurate. Even with real dyno's calibrations can be off and/or correction factors manipulated to show "happy" numbers. Other things matter, quality machine work, lightweight rotating assemblies, real porting vs BS gasket matching, etc. These may be inputs on better programs, idk. I could never see investing in a guessing game. I'm more of a show me a time slip and the back calculations to hp numbers. Real dyno are good testing tool to tune and improve one against itself and not much more.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a pretty good cam comparison spreadsheet last week. Scroll about halfway down and click on the link that says "uploads/3041/amc_cams_18.zip".

I've taken that sheet and tweaked it to guesstimate the duration at .006" since that's not often available. I'm still trying to figure out what the cylinder head numbers on the Calcs page refer to so I can do "head" swaps. Since it was someone else's hard work to program the graphing, I'm not inclined to upload my version unless I completely rework it.