Cam swap time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCSB91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back guys, I was talking to a guy eariler today at carquest and he brought up running a 270h Comp cam... but im thinking ill just run a XE268 comp thinking it will work well with the Weiand intake I have have on the motor

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buying a cam for how it makes the idle crappy, instead of buying a cam based on where you want it to make power, is about as silly as it gets.

RCSB91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying a cam for how it makes the idle crappy, instead of buying a cam based on where you want it to make power, is about as silly as it gets.

Yes, I know.. im not buying the cam just for the idle quality.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want both power and sound, I dont need all the chop but I do want to be able to hear the lope.

just want a little lope

im not buying the cam just for the idle quality.
But you've already admitted that you WANT it to idle poorly.

Tells me you're more interested in impressing idiots than making power where it would be useful in a truck.

Select the cam to make power. If you need it to "lope", you can always screw-up the idle for Dairy Queen runs--and then fix it so it runs right later.

RCSB91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
But you've already admitted that you WANT it to idle poorly.

Tells me you're more interested in impressing idiots than making power where it would be useful in a truck.

Select the cam to make power. If you need it to "lope", you can always screw-up the idle for Dairy Queen runs--and then fix it so it runs right later.

well im glad I ordered the cam stated above, will make power where I want and still have a nice lope.. thanks

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've run the 270h cam several times. I know what the catalog says as far as rpm range and stall but it really likes a little more converter. I hope you plan on swapping the springs and retainers on the heads for the correct/matching ones. That cam does good with Rhoades lifters on it.

The 270 idles about like a stocker. Just enough difference a trained ear can hear.

Last edited:

RCSB91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run the 270h cam several times. I know what the catalog says as far as rpm range and stall but it really likes a little more converter. I hope you plan on swapping the springs and retainers on the heads for the correct/matching ones. That cam does good with Rhoades lifters on it.

The 270 idles about like a stocker. Just enough difference a trained ear can hear.

I have a set of Vortec heads that have been redone they have screw in studs and Comp springs and retainers, I picked them up them up at a local(ish) machine shop, got them pretty cheap ($380).. was going to use them on the 400 I wanted to rebuild for my S10 but that truck can wait, im off till end of March so I have enough time to get the Silverado done and start on the S10 when im done