Cam swap time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCSB91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats up guys, Im working on a 91 K1500 single cab short box, has a carbed 91 350 (stockish TBI heads) with headers, dual plane intake, 670 Holley DP. 5 speed trans, truck now has 3:73s... looking for a good all around cam, truck will be daily driven, and I do tow once in awhile, I want both power and sound, I dont need all the chop but I do want to be able to hear the lope... what are some of you guys running???

Thanks -Phil

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lunati 20080720 (roller cam, Vortec heads)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In the old motor I took out, (TBI block and heads, no roller provisions) I put a $50 Enginetech ES179R cam in. It's still on the build stand. Supposedly it's a copy of a late '60s Corvette cam, fairly choppy, and crappy gas mileage.

RCSB91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn that sounded pretty good, Ill have to look into that cam.. thanks for the reply

Lunati 20080720 (roller cam, Vortec heads)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In the old motor I took out, (TBI block and heads, no roller provisions) I put a $50 Enginetech ES179R cam in. It's still on the build stand. Supposedly it's a copy of a late '60s Corvette cam, fairly choppy, and crappy gas mileage.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
whats up guys, Im working on a 91 K1500 single cab short box, has a carbed 91 350 (stockish TBI heads) with headers, dual plane intake, 670 Holley DP. 5 speed trans, truck now has 3:73s... looking for a good all around cam, truck will be daily driven, and I do tow once in awhile, I want both power and sound, I dont need all the chop but I do want to be able to hear the lope... what are some of you guys running???

Thanks -Phil

Choppy cams and trucks don't really go together, unless you're intending to race, in which case you'd probably be swapping heads and getting a different torque converter. IMO look for a cam that fits your intended rpm range, you'll be happier with a truck that performs well.

Just tune it like **** in the idle area and it'll sound like its choppy haha.

RCSB91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
really dont want the chop, just want a little lope, I do have a set of Vortec heads that i was going to use for something else but since I need my truck the other project can wait.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a Lunati cam that is a little milder but will give you good torque at the lower end of the RPM range for towing. It's still considered "computer controllable" but, that Comp cam can be computer controlled too, with tuning. I'm running the 10120700LK with 1.6 full roller rockers giving me ~.464/.484 lift (208/213 @ 0.50") with Summit Racing 162109 Aluminum heads (which flow a little better than Vortec heads). It idles smooth but you can hear it's not stock with my 3" Borla straight through muffler, ha ha. Personally, every upgrade (cam, heads, etc) I would tune it for optimum performance/mileage.

The 10120702 is more comparable to your pick AND it's in stock @ Summit Racing. With the Covid there's not a lot of cam cores floating around right now so, you don't know when you're gonna get one if you order it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10120701lk

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything 215 deg at .050 or less should be fine for duration and streetable.