Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the 454 is knock prone and I'm unintercooled so wanted some safety margin there.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the 454 is knock prone and I'm unintercooled so wanted some safety margin there.
Ah! Didn't catch the no intercooler. IAT staying decent in boost on long pulls?
What plugs you runnin?

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh just thought bout a W/M injection?
A simple setup with a small single nozzle on a hobb switch.
I used -30* Peak WWF and it worked great! Dial tune in and then add W/M and let it cool and add a tad of fuel.
-30* Peak is only 30 or 33% methanol.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ah! Didn't catch the no intercooler. IAT staying decent in boost on long pulls?
What plugs you runnin?

Stock, forgot about dropping a range. I really just slammed the blower back in to tow down to MI and back and not hate my life. I really need to find the time to refine it a bit. I think it'll also be happier once I ditch the stock manifolds and restrictive section of front down pipes. Exhaust restriction tends to make an engine more knock prone.

Oh just thought bout a W/M injection?
A simple setup with a small single nozzle on a hobb switch.
I used -30* Peak WWF and it worked great! Dial tune in and then add W/M and let it cool and add a tad of fuel.
-30* Peak is only 30 or 33% methanol.

I've considered chemical intercooling, but one concern is being meth dependent. How fast does the stuff disappear?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock, forgot about dropping a range. I really just slammed the blower back in to tow down to MI and back and not hate my life. I really need to find the time to refine it a bit. I think it'll also be happier once I ditch the stock manifolds and restrictive section of front down pipes. Exhaust restriction tends to make an engine more knock prone.

I've considered chemical intercooling, but one concern is being meth dependent. How fast does the stuff disappear?

I like learning about the old stuff. Only tuned one 454 and it was stock.
Yea one step colder plug makes for happy pistons haha.

You plannin on headers?

I never tuned mine to be dependent. Just to help keep everything a tad cooler and keep the pistons Cleaner.
But it really depends on nozzle size and how much time you spend in boost and where your activating the pump.

I had double 2 gallon tanks in my toolbox and with a single 15gph nozzle controlled by a PWM unit it would start spraying the WM at 4psi/10% and ramp up to 100% at 15psi.
I wished I had a better explanation but towing heavy trailer (8500#) 500 miles and empty trailer back I only used 1 gallon. Some stretches I was at 6psi for 15-20 minutes on them long slow hills.

I plan on doing another setup on my '91 just haven't had time.

Good luck with your tow beast! I'll be checking back in and looking for progress.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well at altitude I wonder how much of a difference plugs make. I'm getting about 110kpa at redline but seeing much higher IATs than you are.

Headers and 3" front pipes are in the plans, just a matter of throwing down the money for them.

I'm already 11.5:1 for PE and adding meth would bump that lower, but what I hadn't yet considered is the meth being injected pre-PE. If I do that, I could maybe push off PE to a higher TP. I don't have the luxury of a bed mounted meth tank as I aspire to put more gasoline that area to increase my fuel range. Terrible fuel economy doesn't bother me as much as hitting fumes every 150 miles.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well at altitude I wonder how much of a difference plugs make. I'm getting about 110kpa at redline but seeing much higher IATs than you are.

Headers and 3" front pipes are in the plans, just a matter of throwing down the money for them.

I'm already 11.5:1 for PE and adding meth would bump that lower, but what I hadn't yet considered is the meth being injected pre-PE. If I do that, I could maybe push off PE to a higher TP. I don't have the luxury of a bed mounted meth tank as I aspire to put more gasoline that area to increase my fuel range. Terrible fuel economy doesn't bother me as much as hitting fumes every 150 miles.

I'm sure it will help a little. Can get a little more timing in there with one step colder.
110 kpa at red line, what's your kpa Key on/Engine off?

On my turbo 5.3 now, I never see IAT 30* over ambient even on a 1/4 mile pull but with only 6psi roughly. I'd like to run W/M on this 5.3 and run 87 or 89 octane haha.

I was always afraid of a W/M pump failure and that's why I never tuned it to be 100% dependent on W/M.

You can mount a couple 1 gallon tanks in the engine bay somewhere I bet. I've put them under battery trays in between rad support and front fender liner.
Had to use a funnel to fill it but it was out of the way.
I used a T and/or a Y to connect the tanks.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just thought bout this too.

Seen you were using COS5, with that you have "Nitrous" options. I set mine up to pull timing incase I got bad gas.

Just flip a switch and if you have your nitrous table setup it will pull timing for you.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Kpa is 78-79 key on engine off. I do like that nitrous switch idea a lot, a fear of mine is running low on gas then the only station around doesn't have 91 octane and I have to fill up with piss water. I'll have to check my logs when I get home, but pretty sure my IATs are near 200. The 1500 is intercoolerable, the 3500 not so much.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kpa is 78-79 key on engine off. I do like that nitrous switch idea a lot, a fear of mine is running low on gas then the only station around doesn't have 91 octane and I have to fill up with piss water. I'll have to check my logs when I get home, but pretty sure my IATs are near 200. The 1500 is intercoolerable, the 3500 not so much.
I thought of it when I had to get 89 when I had a pretty high timing with 93 towing a heavy trailer. Gettin on the on ramp I had to pull over and throw a new tune in it with a lot less timing.

With the cos5 it gave me what I wanted. You can even add/subtract fuel too.

I bet you would benefit greatly from W/M injection with a small to medium nozzle and -30*WWF.