Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If that were the case it begs the question why is a SRW 3500 rated at 9200 vs 8600 for the 2500.

Truck's been doing well, camper came off for the first time since April. It seems to have more grunt with the exhaust and the ride is more improved than I expected with the camper on. Rear sway bar is on backorder until God knows when and the struts Lance sent me were too short. My next step though is to fix whatever's shot in the front end so I can get it aligned so it hopefully stops chewing up the tires. There are a couple good ones out back that will make nice fronts, just ****** that I have to demount from one rim to mount/balance onto another just to rotate tires. I still want the upper overloads off of a chassis cab truck, but too many irons in the fire at the moment to deal with that when what I have seems to work fine, I'm just heavily bag dependent as is.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If that were the case it begs the question why is a SRW 3500 rated at 9200 vs 8600 for the 2500.

Probably different springs yet.... plus brakes. I think the 3/4's get JD7s, like the 3/4ton Suburbans. I have SRW JB8 brakes with slide off drums on my 14BFF.... except that I've swapped my front brakes to DRW JB8 brakes, that you already have. It's larger calipers and thicker discs. I'm not sure why GM used the same RPO for two different systems.

My next step though is to fix whatever's shot in the front end so I can get it aligned so it hopefully stops chewing up the tires. There are a couple good ones out back that will make nice fronts, just ****** that I have to demount from one rim to mount/balance onto another just to rotate tires.

What are you running for air pressure in the front, and how are they wearing? I don't do any serious towing, so I don't run the 80psi that the door tag says. I used to run 35-ish 45-ish (somewhere in there) which looked fine, but I was always wearing out the outside edge of the tire. I figured if it was a low pressure issue I'd be wearing both edges. As soon as I started running 50-55-60 (somewhere in there) the problem stopped.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think so.... mine is like 9200 or 9600, and I think the dually is 10K?

Yeah, 9200 SRW and 10k dually. Chassis cab 3500 was good for 12k.

Probably different springs yet.... plus brakes. I think the 3/4's get JD7s, like the 3/4ton Suburbans. I have SRW JB8 brakes with slide off drums on my 14BFF.... except that I've swapped my front brakes to DRW JB8 brakes, that you already have. It's larger calipers and thicker discs. I'm not sure why GM used the same RPO for two different systems.

What are you running for air pressure in the front, and how are they wearing? I don't do any serious towing, so I don't run the 80psi that the door tag says. I used to run 35-ish 45-ish (somewhere in there) which looked fine, but I was always wearing out the outside edge of the tire. I figured if it was a low pressure issue I'd be wearing both edges. As soon as I started running 50-55-60 (somewhere in there) the problem stopped.

I didn't realize 8 lug SRW trucks had 2 different flavors of brakes, seems excessive. I believe I'm running 75psi in all 6 tires and that it was around 55 when I got it. It wears the outside edges. If it were overinflated, the center would be gone. Truck squatted the tires pretty good once I got the camper on so I had to air up before I left the camper dealer.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I didn't realize 8 lug SRW trucks had 2 different flavors of brakes, seems excessive.

Three, if you count the difference between single and dual rear wheel, and possibly more if the light 3/4 with 14bSF is 8-lug... or is it only 6?

I believe I'm running 75psi in all 6 tires and that it was around 55 when I got it. It wears the outside edges. If it were overinflated, the center would be gone. Truck squatted the tires pretty good once I got the camper on so I had to air up before I left the camper dealer.

My rear tires started wearing the center out a little, but that's easy to explain/fix..... too high of pressure, like you said. At 75psi you're definitely not too low in the front. That's got to ride rough! Your roads are probably smoother though....Michigan roads can be terrible.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Last time I went to the UP in my 1500 I was amazed at how good the roads were. I rotated my tires prior to heading there and they uncupped/unfeathered on the whole journey. They use more concrete there than CO. Honestly I like the 3500's ride better than the 1500, but the 3500 does have brand new shocks. I truly believe frame rigidity has a lot to do with it though. You'd think with all the pot money our **** would be immaculate but these retards refuse to account for what happens when the temperature swings under freezing.

On a side note, the light 3/4 is 6 lug.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Couldn't stand to see the 1500 get all the attention so I slapped a Homelink into the dually. Stole power and ground from the dome lights, will address illumination whenever I install the DIC.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Finally opened up my wallet as I was 1 of 5 or so blowers waiting for a used rotor pack to show up. Jon Bond is going to fit a newer rotor pack to my older case instead. Looking forward to having boost in this thing and actually being able to use it with the trans tuned more better now.