Boss 335 Center Cap Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the most killer deal on 20x8.5 335s. Found a guy on Craigslist who wanted a set of 17 inch rallys to trade straight up with. Right place right time haha.

Anyways I know the front center caps don't install correctly. Heard the 308 ones do, but is it a direct install or does it require glue? If so can't I just glue the 335 stock caps? Never really found a definitive answer on this.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't installed 335's on anything but if they're like the original 338's, you may need to run a 7/32" spacer (they're out there, and slightly slimmer than 1/4"), grind down the edges of the hub a little bit, and use round-dome bearing dust caps instead of the cylinder-domed ones that our trucks typically came with. I got my round domed ones off the Dorman rack at the parts store.

Richard

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like such a hassle for wheels that should just fit from the factory. Thanks for the info.

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah when new you pay decent money for some rims and the center caps don't fit. Really sucks. I used silicone to hold my oem chevy caps on my wheels. There also clipped in but they were still loose so I just tabbed some silicone and they have been on for over a year. Guess just got to see what you need to do to make them work. Think Ive heard also that that 308 caps fit with no problems but also have not heard a definitive answer. Good luck hope you get going

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah agreed. Thanks 1sick. I've heard going the 308 route but nothing for sure. Rather just silicone it on there until I hear otherwise I guess. Maybe someone will chime in.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The issue (at least with the 338's) isn't that the caps fit loosely, it's that the centerbore of the wheel is too shallow in relation to the size of the front hubs on the GMT400 trucks. Maybe those wheels fit some other 5x5 vehicle like a fullsize car, don't know, but really - the steps I listed are simple as can be, it's not like everything you've done to your truck was a simple bolt-on right? :gr_grin:

Boss revised the 338's several times over the years and now the centerbore isn't even the same and the caps are different as well. They finally fit without a big hassle. But it took them several times to get it right, for whatever reason. Dunno if the 335's went through that same process or if they didn't bother, but if the problems are similar, you can make them work. Not hard.

EDIT - and by the way I probably got something a little wrong in my first response; the grinding on the hub (or inside of the center cap) was to get the Centerlines to fit the front without knocking the cap off, since they have the much larger cap that actually goes right over the edges of the hub. You're still going to need the spacers and the domed dust caps.

Richard

Last edited: