2000 Duramax wheels-center cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if this doesn’t belong here.

Okay, Duramax wheels circa 2000.
Painted black, with black center caps.
I want to run chrome/polished aluminum lugs.
Thoughts on keeps the center caps on without the threaded lugs?
Also open to other black center caps if they fit. 9.5 14 rear so I don’t really need the deep caps.

Right now, I’m considering 2 options:

1. Create a “washer” out of plastic that will mimic the spin on center cap pen center cap washers. Essentially, round piece of black plastic, cut to size of plastic securing lugs, put chrome lugs on, slide plastic washer in place and bond at proper depth.

2. Drill and tap 3-4 holes in the wheel to hole center cap on with small bolts/screws.

Here for other ideas or flaws in my current plans.

Thank y’all

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It might work....but the only issue I've seen with the standard center caps (chrome or black) is the holes do tend to crack at their bases. Prolly doesn't help with this if people crank the plastic lug covers down too tight....
I have the chrome ones on my crew cab, and even if one hole cracks, I still have 7 more that are solid so it's not going anywhere. I pulled the front pair off a few months ago when I pulled the wheels to check out the front brakes. That's when I found the cracked holes, so I set them aside for regluing these and a proper clean and polish.
It takes a little longer to R&R the wheel with this style, particularly on the 8 lug trucks, but I have a 4 way spinner to get the plastic covers off and a cordless impact wrench for the real nuts. And I think they look good when clean and shiny....
But it's your truck, do what you want. It's possible that your ideas might work, but you don't want hubcaps flying off your truck at speed either.....
Not hatin', just advising....good luck, and if it does work, we want pix!

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you’re looking for black center caps with chrome lug nut covers? Or black center caps with exposed chrome lug nuts? Do you have any pictures of what you’re working on?

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This isn’t my rig, but the inspiration behind what I was trying to do. I like the all black, but I really think that stainless or chrome lugs would make a more cohesive look. The trim down the side of our trucks is black with chrome at the top, chrome bumpers, chrome exhaust tips…… if I can’t I’ll go the all black look like in the picture

Attachments

• F5E115B7-D341-406E-916A-B873FA85D8A3.png
    F5E115B7-D341-406E-916A-B873FA85D8A3.png
    262 KB · Views: 29

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Like this pic with chrome lugs, think it would look really good
I like the black cap, but I'm not too keen on the black painted PY0s..... maybe the finish was not good or they don't like polished(or polishing) wheels?
I didn't like cleaning the chrome factory option 20s on Dad's Denali, but when the truck got washed he expected it to be clean and shiny. Since it's black, that didn't last long....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Find a shop near you that does spray "chrome" (Cosmi Chrome and the like) and ask them about the feasibility of "chroming" your black plastic lug caps. You'll probably have to be really careful with them after that, but that coating is reasonably durable. It's the only way off-hand I can think of that you'll be able to use that type of center cap and have chrome lugs for accent.

Richard

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No idea if either of these are 100% correct but might be able to make them work

Reega

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

No idea if either of these are 100% correct but might be able to make them work
Thanks man, that would definitely be the easiest route. Appreciate you looking