BIG Transmission fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
this is too small to be a factory hole. It is in the middle of the hump in the cap.

You must be registered for see images attach

yes I did. I didnt take the rear housing off though. Did you see the photo I posted?
Yes...not sure why you think that's too small to be factory? It's dead center and where the factory puts a "weep" hole in some yokes. Do you think it got there some other way? Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be combative - just curious what your thoughts on this are.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
this is a factory cap.

That looks like it might be from a 32 tooth slip yoke, not the 27 tooth that you have..... on my monitor it's almost the size of a paper plate, Though. It's also not installed. The shape changes a bit when they're pressed in, and peened over.

changed it already.

The bearing and o-ring require the tailshaft housing to come off, which you already said you didn't do.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
That looks like it might be from a 32 tooth slip yoke, not the 27 tooth that you have..... on my monitor it's almost the size of a paper plate, Though. It's also not installed. The shape changes a bit when they're pressed in, and peened over.

The bearing and o-ring require the tailshaft housing to come off, which you already said you didn't do.

sorry I thought you said end cap, my misunderstanding.

Outlaw910

Reaction score
I took the drive shaft out. I took the yoke off the shaft and poured a little fluid in the yoke. I poured out the cap at the end of the yoke. (where the u-joint connects.)
I'm guessing that the fluid was draining out of the yoke and then I did not have enough fluid to move the truck. But what I don't understand is. The last time I took her out. If I let her sit for a couple seconds, the transmission would actually work for a short bit.

Yeah... that IS the same problem that is talking about in my earlier post. That hole is there for venting. At least that is what I was told at the dealership and at a few transmission shops. I replaced the toilet and it didn't leak anymore

Outlaw910

Reaction score
I don't disagree, but every design is subject to field revision. :) That's why I was thinking the TSB would clear things up.

It was my initial thought that the tailshaft bushing has failed, but again it's been forever since I dealt with this particular issue.

Richard
You're right..it is a vent. But...there is some silicone or plastic in that hole that gets brittle over time