Only 1st and Reverse!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aking284

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So my 4l60e tranny in my 97 c1500 suddenly started acted funny. It will engage first gear and reverse, but other gears will not. I do have a tranny leak which I tried fixing by replacing the rear main seal and the output shaft seal however it still leaks.
Dip stick showed to be dry, added fluid and still same thing.
Do you guys think the tranny is shot? Or maybe not enough fluid still?
Ps.- trans component slipping code was given on reader.
Thank y’all so much!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So my 4l60e tranny in my 97 c1500 suddenly started acted funny. It will engage first gear and reverse, but other gears will not. I do have a tranny leak which I tried fixing by replacing the rear main seal and the output shaft seal however it still leaks.
Dip stick showed to be dry, added fluid and still same thing.
Do you guys think the tranny is shot? Or maybe not enough fluid still?
Thank y’all so much!
On a flat surface at operating temp, check fluid level-it should be at the full hot mark.

Next, check your speed sensor, wire to the speed sensor...no upshift out of first is an indicator that voltage signal from the speed sensor isnt getting to the pcm so the pcm cuts off all upshifts.

Also make sure it's plugged in.

aking284

Reaction score
On a flat surface at operating temp, check fluid level-it should be at the full hot mark.

Next, check your speed sensor, wire to the speed sensor...no upshift out of first is an indicator that voltage signal from the speed sensor isnt getting to the pcm so the pcm cuts off all upshifts.

Also make sure it's plugged in.
Will give this a try thanks @NickTransmissions