BIG Transmission fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How is that you people think a hole MADE at the time of manufacturer is a "leak"? There is SOMETHING ELSE THAT HAS LET GO, maybe a a seal, or the bushing??? The hole is a VENT! This isn't something I'm guessing at...
I don't disagree, but every design is subject to field revision. :) That's why I was thinking the TSB would clear things up.

It was my initial thought that the tailshaft bushing has failed, but again it's been forever since I dealt with this particular issue.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How is that you people think a hole MADE at the time of manufacturer is a "leak"? There is SOMETHING ELSE THAT HAS LET GO, maybe a a seal, or the bushing??? The hole is a VENT! This isn't something I'm guessing at...

I don't get this, a vent for what? The yoke doesn't have an airtight seal with the output shaft in the first place which IMO negates the need for a vent and also explains why it's leaking from where it is in the first place.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't get this, a vent for what? The yoke doesn't have an airtight seal with the output shaft in the first place which IMO negates the need for a vent and also explains why it's leaking from where it is in the first place.
It's not airtight but if you've spent much time installing driveshafts you will notice there's some slight pressure buildup even just with the slight, slow motion (wow that sounds dirty) from sliding the yoke onto the shaft.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's not airtight but if you've spent much time installing driveshafts you will notice there's some slight pressure buildup even just with the slight, slow motion (wow that sounds dirty) from sliding the yoke onto the shaft.

Richard

There is, but it bleeds off. Typical suspension travel doesn't stroke the yoke near as much as installing the thing on the vehicle.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There is, but it bleeds off. Typical suspension travel doesn't stroke the yoke near as much as installing the thing on the vehicle.
Nope, but he's bagged. That's a lot more travel than a stock vehicle, significantly.

Regardless, looks like the issue may simply be the failure of that o-ring as depicted in the Car Craft article.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Those vented slip yokes were greased which lubricates the splines, but also creates more of an air seal. I would think that continual working of the suspension would blow out seals if not vented, and also possibly add stress to the u-joints in a direction that they're not really meant to handle.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
How is that you people think a hole MADE at the time of manufacturer is a "leak"? There is SOMETHING ELSE THAT HAS LET GO, maybe a seal, or the bushing??? The hole is a VENT! This isn't something I'm guessing at...

this is too small to be a factory hole. It is in the middle of the hump in the cap.

You must be registered for see images attach