BIG Transmission fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
You're right..it is a vent. But...there is some silicone or plastic in that hole that gets brittle over time

I put a healthy amount of Liquid Weld over the hole. Its out on the workbench drying as I type.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is on a 4L60E, right?

I Googled around a little because I remember reading about someone having similar issues years ago. It looks like there is an O-ring inside a sleeve on the tail shaft of the trans that can fail and cause fluid to leak through that hole in the yoke. Here's a link to a thread on PerformanceTrucks.net with some more explanation.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/f...n-22/4l60-2wd-driveshaft-yoke-leaking-553267/

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a video showing the yoke does not hit the output shaft, and I was going to fill the small hole in the cat.

Your video doesn't seem to show what happens to the driveshaft when the rear suspension is almost bottomed out. With a lowered truck and stock length driveshaft, there is still a possibility of the driveshaft bottoming out on the trans output shaft.

Last edited:

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
Your video doesn't seem to show what happens to the driveshaft when the rear suspension is almost bottomed out. With a lowered truck and stock length driveshaft, there is still a possibility of the driveshaft bottoming out on the trans output shaft.

The video shows the yoke and rive shaft when I drop the truck all the way to the ground from ride height.

this is ride height

You must be registered for see images attach

this is dropped.

You must be registered for see images attach

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I've watched the video several times. I'm trying to visualize the oring/seal in a 2wd tail shaft other members have pointed out and its relation to the yoke travel on the slip joint. With as much drop as you have even at ride height, I'm thinking a stock length driveshaft might be critically close to the limit of its slip. Driving over a set of RR tracks even at a slow 20mph for example.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@PlayingWithTBI does this pic look like what you saw?
Exactly! When I got the stage 2 trans from Transmission Depot, they didn't include the reluctor gear or the sleeve and O-ring (common with a lot of builders). I pulled the tail housing off (jacked up the rear higher than the front) and removed the OE O-ring and sleeve to get at the reluctor (pay attention to where the reluctor was in regards to the weep holes in the shaft), and installed them on the "new" tail shaft, then reinstalled the tail housing. No leaks or problems for about a year now, and my speedo works! Took about 1/2 hour after jacking the truck up.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a bit of research and found the 4l60e and 700r4 uses the rubber shaft seal. I try to find it for the 4l60 and can not find it.
The 700r4 and the 4L60 are the same transmission, GM renamed the 700R4 in 91 or 92 IIRC, to conform with their newer designations of "E" trans ie. 4L60E, 4L65E, on up.