BIG Transmission fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
Yes, I've watched the video several times. I'm trying to visualize the oring/seal in a 2wd tail shaft other members have pointed out and its relation to the yoke travel on the slip joint. With as much drop as you have even at ride height, I'm thinking a stock length driveshaft might be critically close to the limit of its slip. Driving over a set of RR tracks even at a slow 20mph for example.

As the video shows the yoke is out about 1 - 1.5 Inches and does not move inward at the time of drop.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just realized @someotherguy already mentioned all this a couple pages back in the article he linked. I even opened the link earlier and skimmed it but for some reason it didn't click for me until I saw the other pictures. My fault.

I bet that O-ring failed for one reason or another.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
The 700r4 and the 4L60 are the same transmission, GM renamed the 700R4 in 91 or 92 IIRC, to conform with their newer designations of "E" trans ie. 4L60E, 4L65E, on up.

From what I read,the "E"on 4L60E,stands for Electronic. Mine is the 4L60 (not 4L60E)

The TH700R4 was renamed "4L60" (RPO MD8) following the new General Motors naming convention when the electronic version, 4L60E (RPO M30), was phased in as the 4L60 was being phased out. This happened in 1993 for trucks, vans, and SUVs, and 1994 for rear wheel drive passenger cars. In 1996, a bolt-on bell housing was phased in (along with a six-bolt tailhousing) for S-10 Trucks and S-10 Blazers and beginning in 1998 for all other applications. Beginning in 1998 a new 300mm torque converter with improved higher-capacity internals, 300mm style input shaft, and 300mm style pump was also introduced on models coupled to a Gen III Small Block. The 4L60E is rated to handle up to 360 ft·lbf (488 N·m) of torque. It weighs 133 pounds without transmission fluid.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just realized @someotherguy already mentioned all this a couple pages back in the article he linked. I even opened the link earlier and skimmed it but for some reason it didn't click for me until I saw the other pictures. My fault.

I bet that O-ring failed for one reason or another.

And could that be because that yoke is sticking out so far? Maybe the inboard end of it is stroking over the o ring and tore it?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And could that be because that yoke is sticking out so far? Maybe the inboard end of it is stroking over the o ring and tore it?

I honestly couldn't say, I do wonder if the truck being bagged has something to do with it.

I just went and took a tape measure to the 4L60E slip yoke on the factory driveshaft from my '97 C1500 and got about 4.5". I'm not sure how much of that is supposed to stick out when everything is installed...

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TH700R4 was renamed "4L60" (RPO MD8) following the new General Motors naming convention when the electronic version, 4L60E (RPO M30), was phased in as the 4L60 was being phased out. This happened in 1993 for trucks, vans, and SUVs, and 1994 for rear wheel drive passenger cars. In 1996, a bolt-on bell housing was phased in (along with a six-bolt tailhousing) for S-10 Trucks and S-10 Blazers and beginning in 1998 for all other applications. Beginning in 1998 a new 300mm torque converter with improved higher-capacity internals, 300mm style input shaft, and 300mm style pump was also introduced on models coupled to a Gen III Small Block. The 4L60E is rated to handle up to 360 ft·lbf (488 N·m) of torque. It weighs 133 pounds without transmission fluid.
OK, I was off by a year, maybe. This means nothing about your leak due to the O-ring and sleeve. Just take off the tail housing and look rather than Mickey Mousing it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, FWIR the O-ring is inside the sleeve so, if anything the yoke would push the assy further froward on the tail shaft? I think that's there to wipe off any oil before it gets to the yoke.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK, I was off by a year, maybe. This means nothing about your leak due to the O-ring and sleeve. Just take off the tail housing and look rather than Mickey Mousing it.

I would want to take a look at this too. Even if plugging the vent hole in the yoke fixes the leak, something else caused it and I bet this is it.

I don't think so, FWIR the O-ring is inside the sleeve so, if anything the yoke would push the assy further froward on the tail shaft? I think that's there to wipe off any oil before it gets to the yoke.

This is what I was thinking as well, but I've never had one apart so I wasn't sure exactly how everything is put together.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I wonder if I'm thinking of a Ford then? Or just making **** up.