BIG Transmission fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
hello. I have a transmission fluid leak. The leak is at the tail of the transmission. First I thought it was the Transmission rear seal, so I replaced it. It is still pouring out onto the floor. Also When I took her out for a drive after replacing the rear seal, The transmission starting slipping (Major league) after a few minutes (when the engine had warmed up.) I would park her and let her sit for a couple minutes,then she would be working again.
1. I went to a transmission shop, I asked if part of the issue was the fluid getting thinner with the drive train being warm. They told me "No. the fluid gets thicker". which I found odd.
2. I looked up the info and fluid getting thinner with heat, and I believe he was incorrect, but I may be incorrect...
3.I also found an article about about an O-ring inside the tail housing that may be in bad shape.
If some people could throw in some information, thank you very much.I just want to get her on the road and enjoy driving.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chewy11B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you measure the seal and make sure it matches the diameter of your driveshaft? Or better yet did you dry fit it before putting up into trans?

Trans slipping could be due to low fluid.

Also make sure you have enough slip in your shaft to prevent internal trans damage.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
Did you measure the seal and make sure it matches the diameter of your driveshaft? Or better yet did you dry fit it before putting up into trans?

Trans slipping could be due to low fluid.

Also make sure you have enough slip in your shaft to prevent internal trans damage.

It matches the drive shaft yoke diameter. There is a good distance from transmission rear seal to end of yoke.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the output shaft spline and/or yoke worn to the point it wobbles enough to cause the leak?

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clean up the tailshaft area wih brake cleaner and run on jack stands (be careful). Be positive about where the fluid is coming from.
The trans has a vent fitting with a hose attached to the upper RH front case. If slipping, it might be boiling the fluid and puking it out down the top of the case. You gotta know where the leak is coming from. Tailshaft seals are all sorts of sizes...especially transfer case seals. Check the tailshaft closely and verify that it isn't cracked at the seal surface.
With the trans puking, slipping, etc, either the fluid is hi/lo, wrong fluid, or the tranny is crapping out. If leaking badly, fluid low, trans slips. Then death ensues.
Check fluid level hot, after shifting thru all gears and leave in park or neutral. Smell the fluid for burnt odor. Check speedo sensor for leaking.
I see it isn't 4x4. It's bagged. You could have a driveshaft length/angle issue that's damaging the tail seal?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Outlaw910

Reaction score
hello. I have a transmission fluid leak. The leak is at the tail of the transmission. First I thought it was the Transmission rear seal, so I replaced it. It is still pouring out onto the floor. Also When I took her out for a drive after replacing the rear seal, The transmission starting slipping (Major league) after a few minutes (when the engine had warmed up.) I would park her and let her sit for a couple minutes,then she would be working again.
1. I went to a transmission shop, I asked if part of the issue was the fluid getting thinner with the drive train being warm. They told me "No. the fluid gets thicker". which I found odd.
2. I looked up the info and fluid getting thinner with heat, and I believe he was incorrect, but I may be incorrect...
3.I also found an article about about an O-ring inside the tail housing that may be in bad shape.
If some people could throw in some information, thank you very much.I just want to get her on the road and enjoy driving.

If you look at the time there is a hole with a silicone or rubber seal/ o-ring. Over time it gets hard and brittle and transmission fluid will find it's way out through that hole. I had the same thing happen to me last year

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
If you look at the time there is a hole with a silicone or rubber seal/ o-ring. Over time it gets hard and brittle and transmission fluid will find it's way out through that hole. I had the same thing happen to me last year

is the he hole is in the end of the yoke where the u-joint?

Here is a photo of the leak. It took about a day to form this puddle.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Does your yoke have a hole in the middle of it? I bet that's your problem. My Crown Vic leaked there so I drilled and tapped the hole and shoved a bolt in it.