Bargain Brand or Name brand?

Whats your pick? Does the name brand have better protection and additives?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know. I love the stories too. Hey just for grins my 90 GMC is also named Old Blue. It used to be my Dad's truck and he named it years ago :)
This truck has bounced back and fourth between me and my son, I had it and he got it then he was injured in a motorcycle accident two years ago that left him incapacitated and in my care. During that time I started making Blue as close to new as possible within my means, hoping he would recover and it would have everything done that he wanted to do to it ! He lost the battle this past November and left me, he never got to see it or know that it was done for him. But it gives me a part off him and a feeling he is close by when It goes on little weekend rides.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Schaeffer Supreme 7000 blend 5 W 30 because my mechanic recommended it. Approaching 225000 miles on a 5.7 V8 Chevy Ext Cab 1998. Still decent oil pressure, and using K&N spin on filters. The dreaded weak 3rd cylinder code has struck, so I have a motor that is needing attention in the future....

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
225k is about what my old engine made it to before it was yanked. PO's probably used Crisco cooking oil for all I know. Just because the gage indicates there's good pressure and the engine hasn't locked up doesn't mean all oils are the same or the motor is going to go the same distance as the one next to it.

I don't think one person opened that link I posted regarding Amsoil's comparison of multiple oils :Big Laugh:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well speaking of oil I had to change it in the burb today. Depending on what I'm doing that day decides where I get my oil. If I go to safeway ill stop at oriellys and get wix filters, go to wally then I pick up fram filters, both places I pick up Pennzoil full synthetic. No real reason to the oil, just habit now. Although back in school auto we had a guy from royal purple came through and I thought abt running that stuff but at almost $50 for 5 qts that's to much.

I cnt remember what I run for tranny fluid but I kno it was dex6, i think valvoline.

The rear end is Lucas gear oil, changed that oil out abt 15k ago an no problems.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll say this about Fram, F---- Fram, lol. The issue I have is they pride themselves in their micron rating. Well coming from oil/gas refining equipment I know how that goes. The finer micron rating the cleaner the product coming out the filter but there is something they don't tell you. You get too fine a micron rating and you have flow issues quickly. It doesn't take much to clog up a fine micron filter. Then you have alot of pressure going to it but little or worst case none coming out. I have seen a Fram oil filter housing suck the sides in from clogging up and drawing so much pressure drop the filter case failed. Needless to say it cooked some bearings too.

When it comes to oil filters you only want it to stop particles that are gonna be a issue for bearings. Too fine a rating and you'll be changing it more often to keep your oil flow through the engine where it should be. Just food for thought.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll say this about Fram, F---- Fram, lol. The issue I have is they pride themselves in their micron rating. Well coming from oil/gas refining equipment I know how that goes. The finer micron rating the cleaner the product coming out the filter but there is something they don't tell you. You get too fine a micron rating and you have flow issues quickly. It doesn't take much to clog up a fine micron filter. Then you have alot of pressure going to it but little or worst case none coming out. I have seen a Fram oil filter housing suck the sides in from clogging up and drawing so much pressure drop the filter case failed. Needless to say it cooked some bearings too.

When it comes to oil filters you only want it to stop particles that are gonna be a issue for bearings. Too fine a rating and you'll be changing it more often to keep your oil flow through the engine where it should be. Just food for thought.

I understand what your meaning abt too fine a filter but 6 years an never had an oil pressure related problem. Not saying it can't happen just hasn't to me.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand what your meaning abt too fine a filter but 6 years an never had an oil pressure related problem. Not saying it can't happen just hasn't to me.

Hey, run what ya like. Everyone likes different stuff but after seeing several issues with their filters in performance applications, I'll pass personally. Just my $.02

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1.Thanks for the replies, sorry I'm not more active, but my alerts aren't working.
2.I found out that Walmarts oil is made by Cisco and the filters are made by Wix. Super Tech filter and oil is my plan.
3.Is Synthetic gear oil best?
4.What is your opinion on adding a cam additive? for the ZPPD.
5.Found out I have a 350 not a 305! Reman. engine with 33K on it.

98TahoeLT

Reaction score
We typically use Castrol Synthetic after breakin (bulk supply) or Chevron regular oil during breakin depending on which engine/truck in undergoing overhaul. My avatar is the test bed for needed aftermarket tasks for improved corrosion control, design improvement, fault isolation, process development & reliability testing prior to rollout to applicable fleet daily drivers. The focus is mission performance with long term reliability, fuel economy, safety and serviceability in harsh conditions and/or isolated remote areas.