Brake hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm having an issue with my 97 yukon brake hoses. I ordered some ac delco ones from Amazon. Open them to be made in China and have sunsong name stamped on the hose.. on rockauto.com those hoses are actually for sale for way cheaper. I was wondering if any of you have had the same issue with ac delco parts being re branded. Also what brand have you guys used?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, this is business as usual. GM/ACDelco have suppliers for pretty much every "OEM replacement" part they sell, they just put them in a different box with a GM badge on it. The parts they select are usually (but not always) on the higher end of what's available in terms of quality, but you can save yourself a lot of money buying straight from the source. The trick is knowing who makes what's in the GM/ACDelco box...

What you've experienced backs up what I've been told by others here regarding Sunsong being a supplier for GM lines. I used them for power steering lines recently on my red '97 at the suggestion of other members. I know Raybestos is a GM supplier for brake parts like rotors/drums as another example.

If you're replacing the soft brake lines anyway, I would consider using a set of braided stainless lines from Russell or Classic Tube. They'll be more durable and resistant to expansion, which could potentially firm up your pedal a little.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, this is business as usual. GM/ACDelco have suppliers for pretty much every "OEM replacement" part they sell, they just put them in a different box with a GM badge on it. The parts they select are usually (but not always) on the higher end of what's available in terms of quality, but you can save yourself a lot of money buying straight from the source. The trick is knowing who makes what's in the GM/ACDelco box...

What you've experienced backs up what I've been told by others here regarding Sunsong being a supplier for GM lines. I used them for power steering lines recently on my red '97 at the suggestion of other members. I know Raybestos is a GM supplier for brake parts like rotors/drums as another example.

If you're replacing the soft brake lines anyway, I would consider using a set of braided stainless lines from Russell or Classic Tube. They'll be more durable and resistant to expansion, which could potentially firm up your pedal a little.
Figures kinda sucks tho. I ended up calling Amazon and telling them about the situation they let me keep the hoses and refunded me the money. Those russel or classic tube that your referring to are those for the brake lines or the actual hose that goes to the caliper? I tried to look them up for the hoses and couldn't find anything. On the classic tube it only shows the lines themselves that run from the master to the hoses. But not the hoses that go to the caliper. And on Russell I couldn't search via car specific.
Would you happen to know the part number I need to search for? Mines a 4wd

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those russel or classic tube that your referring to are those for the brake lines or the actual hose that goes to the caliper? I tried to look them up for the hoses and couldn't find anything.

The flexible hoses. Here's a link to the Russell catalog in PDF form. Looks like if your Yukon is a C1500 (2WD) then you need part number 672340. If it's a K1500 (4WD) then part number 672400.

https://edelbrock-files-v1.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/catalogs/Russell-Catalog.pdf

I run one of the Russell kits on my red truck and I've been very happy with it, but others have pointed out that the Classic Tube kits have better brackets included. I haven't figured out how to search through the Classic Tube website or catalog, but if you search your vehicle on Summit Racing their StopFlex kits should pop up.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've bought "Genuine GM" branded hoses from Rock and one of them showed up with an "ACDelco" label instead, and "Sunsong" on the hose itself. :( Just a reference point.

That's the rear hose on my wife's '06 SS.
You must be registered for see images attach

Front hoses showed up GM Genuine, and made in USA...allegedly

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm having an issue with my 97 yukon brake hoses. I ordered some ac delco ones from Amazon. Open them to be made in China and have sunsong name stamped on the hose... ...I was wondering if any of you have had the same issue with ac delco parts being re branded.

Yes, this is business as usual.
ACDelco makes nothing. They're a sales organization. Reboxing auto parts has been going on for fifty years or more. It's just more common now.

I would consider using a set of braided stainless lines from Russell or Classic Tube. They'll be more durable and resistant to expansion, which could potentially firm up your pedal a little.
FIFY.

The Russel hoses don't fit the 4WD trucks very well. I don't know about 2WD.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Various comments on stainless braided hoses, here:

GM changed from SAE to metric fittings on the GMT400, I believe around 1997 or the transition to the 1998 model year, so order what's appropriate for your vehicle.

My 1998 Suburban had SAE on one side of the front hard lines, and metric on the other, which I discovered when I tried installing the SS hoses. THAT was a head-scratcher :think:

Last edited:

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

While attempting to bleed the brakes I noticed my Master cylinder was leaking from the seal under the reservoir. Put a new master and bench bled it before I put it on. Bled all the brakes. As you can see from the pictures I put new rotors calipers and brake hoses. My drivers caliper is not retracting even when I release the bleeder nipple. While I had someone press the brake I can see the piston moving on the passenger side and releasing. But the driver side would not. I believe it could be a faulty caliper even though it's new.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. While I had someone press the brake I can see the piston moving on the passenger side and releasing. But the driver side would not. I believe it could be a faulty caliper even though it's new.

Those are JB5/6 “low drag” calipers, y/n?

While on the topic of "low-drag" calipers, see the .pdf file from Bendix on that very topic attached in this post, it might (or might not) be relevant to your “new” calipers:

Whats wrong with gmt400 brakes?

Last edited: