Bare wires in the fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm replacing my fuel pump (1996 C2500HD, 5.7). There's one wire that's got a bare end. It looks like the insulation melted off due to heat. Obviously I'm a little concerned about that being in the fuel tank. Any thoughts on how this might have happened, and what the likelihood is of me blowing myself up if I put it back together this way? Bare wire or not, there's multiple electrical connections that are submerged in gasoline, so I'm thinking it's maybe not such a big deal. But again, I'd rather not blow myself up. I'll try and attach a pic. Any thoughts appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

mudpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the sake of anybody who may be doing a search at some point in the future...

I talked to a guy at work who is a huge Chevy guy, and his thoughts were that the driveability problems I've been having for the past month was my pump failing in slow motion, and in the process it overheated the wiring. There's a new wiring kit available at Autozone, which I got, put it back together and it runs better than it has in probably 6 weeks.
You must be registered for see images attach