Automatic Door Lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick question on 1998 Door lock system. Do the door locks activate when the vehicle is put into drive? I cant remember if they did or it was just my old viper that would activate and lock the doors when i put the vehicle in drive.

When i had the Viper 300 installed back in 1998 they had splice into the system which disabled the ability to lock the doors from the buttons on the door. Only way i could open or close the doors was using the viper remote. That viper crapped out long ago and had that mess of wires removed and had my oem wires reconnected to be able to open or close the locks using the buttons on the doors. I just cant remember if the doors locked when the vehicle was put into to drive lol.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My Burb doesn't do that,and the other one didn't either. Our 06 Denali did, and Mom's 04 Chrysler did. Might be a Denali/Escalade thing on 400 series trucks. Every new vehicle we've rented has that automatic speed sensitive locking though, maybe after a certain year they have to have it. Like backup cameras, airbags and other equipment meant to protect us from idiots.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope. No GMT400 had this feature from the factory to my knowledge.

X2. But there is a timer somewhere though... suburban/Tahoe rear cargo doors have a button that locks all the doors instantly accept the cargo door. After you shut it and give it about 30 min it automatically locks lol. Dont know if that counts:)

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
X2. But there is a timer somewhere though... suburban/Tahoe rear cargo doors have a button that locks all the doors instantly accept the cargo door. After you shut it and give it about 30 min it automatically locks lol. Dont know if that counts:)

Yours has that odd alarm system tho, most don't have that.

No GMT400 has transmission or speed-based locking at all unless an aftermarket system was installed.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
IIRC the owners manual says the lock delay on the barn doors is 30 seconds. Mine does do this, but the solenoid is old and maybe out of adjustment, so it won't always pull the lock all the way closed. So I check it with my key before leaving the Burb unattended.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC the owners manual says the lock delay on the barn doors is 30 seconds. Mine does do this, but the solenoid is old and maybe out of adjustment, so it won't always pull the lock all the way closed. So I check it with my key before leaving the Burb unattended.

Good catch I meant 30sec lol. Wasnt paying attention when I said min lol

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick question on 1998 Door lock system. Do the door locks activate when the vehicle is put into drive? I cant remember if they did or it was just my old viper that would activate and lock the doors when i put the vehicle in drive.

When i had the Viper 300 installed back in 1998 they had splice into the system which disabled the ability to lock the doors from the buttons on the door. Only way i could open or close the doors was using the viper remote. That viper crapped out long ago and had that mess of wires removed and had my oem wires reconnected to be able to open or close the locks using the buttons on the doors. I just cant remember if the doors locked when the vehicle was put into to drive lol.

No. I also have 1998 C1500, but the GM key fob add on I had installed post sale did do that, but it is fried now. I did get a new GM pack, but I have not installed it, yet.

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are lucky cause i bought a GM key fob so i can remotely lock and unlock the doors. I tried rekeying to the truck but didnt work. Thats when i came to find out that just because i have electric door locks doesnt mean i have the module for keyless entry. Bummer i wish i did have that module.