any tips on changing front coils?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've pulled coils out of lots of these trucks and have never once needed any sort of spring compression. I just make sure the truck is up high enough to allow the control arm to swing down. Once it's all loose I swing the control arm down and the spring just falls out.

Laydout98

Reaction score
I've pulled coils out of lots of these trucks and have never once needed any sort of spring compression. I just make sure the truck is up high enough to allow the control arm to swing down. Once it's all loose I swing the control arm down and the spring just falls out.

x2 I had mine on jackstands and just let the jack down really slow and it just fell out.

super7

Reaction score
you can leave the sway bar attached to the lower control arm but remove it from the frame. This is how i did mine as my end links looked like it was going to be a pain in the a$$

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what works works,
however when i had this experience it wasnt on an obs but im still scard

Every vehicle is different. OBS trucks are probably about the easiest for coil swaps. I put some drop springs on my old '87 Caprice. Those coils were compressed like a ****! I was working with the spring compressor and it slipped and took a good chunk of skin from my thumb. I was pretty friggin' leery of doing anything after that one.

But these trucks... Nah.... They're like old friends. They don't worry me any.

JB11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I did the BJ method, the only thing I noticed on these is that the coil fits inside a deep upper bucket so I would have really had to compress the hell out of them enough to remove with that tool

Anyway, they are changed now and fronts done, just gotta do the leafs now get it aligned. Should have pics tonight.

JB11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
spacers came in yesterday, black anodized and correct hub size, I got a buddy trying to find me some tires so we'll see.