any tips on changing front coils?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im gonna install my 2/4 drop this weekend on the 99 Tahoe....any tips on swapping the coils?

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
Strap or chain the coil for safety. Jack up the lca and loosen the castle nuts but do not re move. Break ball joints loose. It may take the tension from the spring to help break them loose. Once loose jack back up a little an remove the nuts. Slowly release jack and the spring should fall right out. The hardest part is getting the ball joints loose. Everything else is straight forward.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like Sierra said ^^^^^ and I'll add to try not to jump to high when they go bang and shoot out on ya because mines tried to nail me really good.

JB11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Sierra said ^^^^^ and I'll add to try not to jump to high when they go bang and shoot out on ya because mines tried to nail me really good.

Thanks for the warning, I got my chain ready to go

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning, I got my chain ready to go

You know they make coil spring compressors, right? You can rent them from your local parts store for about a $20 deposit. That way you don't have to worry about a spring removing your head from your shoulders.

You must be registered for see images attach

JB11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know they make coil spring compressors, right? You can rent them from your local parts store for about a $20 deposit. That way you don't have to worry about a spring removing your head from your shoulders.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yes I used those on my 1985 Chevy, but everyone I talk too about the gmt400's tells me just bust the lower BJ loose, no compressor needed

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if its worked for them go for it
im just saying dodging a coil spring isnt fun,
kinda like ****** off a blind bull ya never kno what hes gona do lol

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
As long as the spring is either chained or strapped to the lca really good then you will not have to worry out it jumping out at you. The key to it is lowering the control arm Slowly. If the lca is drop quickly then you will run the risk of the spring decompressing to fast and possible jumping out. I have never had one jump out on me.