Tips for putting headers on 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The shorty headers on my '88 K1500 have marvelous plug clearance. Probably better than the original manifolds. It all depends on how the tubes are bent; and how the plugs are angled into the combustion chambers.

As said...a 2WD should be easy compared to 4WD.

You would think so, wouldn't you? My C1500 fought me way worse than my K1500 on the same set of Hedman Elite long tubes. In addition to what's already been said, I needed to remove a valve cover to get one side to drop in. That was 2009 so no, I don't remember which side it was.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a heat shield that clips on to the boot and plug. GM used them on the TBI B-cars and the LT1s. Standard Motor Products sells them as well. I bought my last set from Oreilly. Since the clip positively on the plug, the clearence can be adjusted and oriented so that the boot and wire stays away from the header.

You must be registered for see images attach

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a heat shield that clips on to the boot and plug. GM used them on the TBI B-cars and the LT1s. Standard Motor Products sells them as well. I bought my last set from Oreilly. Since the clip positively on the plug, the clearence can be adjusted and oriented so that the boot and wire stays away from the header.

You must be registered for see images attach
fancy could you send me a link to them if it’s not a problem

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question it says will have to modify power steering mount what exactly does that mean?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a heat shield that clips on to the boot and plug.
Thanks for the part number--Standard SPP36. Got 'em on my "wish list".

Another question it says will have to modify power steering mount what exactly does that mean?
If it's like my '88 5.7L, it means that the header flange is thinner than the exhaust manifold flange, so the PS bracket won't fit without some sort of spacer.

First Guess: The folks that make the headers, also sell the spacer needed.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the part number--Standard SPP36. Got 'em on my "wish list".

If it's like my '88 5.7L, it means that the header flange is thinner than the exhaust manifold flange, so the PS bracket won't fit without some sort of spacer.

First Guess: The folks that make the headers, also sell the spacer needed.
so like put washers behind the ps bracket? hedman doesn’t make a spacer for it that i could find