Aluminum driveshafts for Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the SUVs ever come with Aluminum driveshafts?
My grandfather has a 98 heavy half 4x4 pickup which I have always admired
I would love to run the same drivetrain under my 97 Suburban K1500
How out of place would it be to try this?
What benefits came from the aluminum driveshafts?
Are they worth it?

Im just curious and throwing ideas around while my truck is on the lift for front brake conversion

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely stick with steel. My experience has been that the aluminum shafts were fine until you had to change u joints and could be easily damaged if extra care was not taken with them. If you broke a u joint, they are usually completely done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that is certainly good to know, thanks fellas

I have no means or intention to swap that much of the drivetrain anytime soon
I am curious because I have had zero experience with them
And the one on gramps work/plow truck has not caused issues to this point
Not even sure what the benefits would be?
I have to assume it was an efficiency thing. Less rotating mass = Less parasitic loss, correct?
Just a wild thought imagining better mileage and performance out of stock parts behind my HT383

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Not even sure what the benefits would be?
I have to assume it was an efficiency thing. Less rotating mass = Less parasitic loss, correct?
Just a wild thought imagining better mileage and performance out of stock parts behind my HT383

Lighter weight, especially when a long driveshaft is needed. They use them on vans a lot. They increase the diameter, and length and still end up with a lightweight part that doesn't turn into a jump rope.

It's not that an alumium shaft is a bad thing, it's the build quality of the OEM version. My experience is mostly with GMT-800 and 900 shafts made by AAM. The GMT-400 may have had more of them made by Dana.... maybe those are better?

I doubt you'ld notice any difference swapping one in, outside of a competition situation. I'd much rather have the durabilty of the steel shaft. I have almost 300K miles on my truck, and I still have one OEM non-greaseable u-joint. The driveshaft is something I never have to think about. It just continues to do it's job.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I've changed an ass-load of u-joints on aluminum shafts without any more issues then steel shafts. Corrosion prone areas may have different results then the west coat stuff. Like mentioned above the aluminum shaft at the same diameter will be weaker then steel. The reason to go to an aluminum shaft is when the run length is very long and you need a large diameter for strength and harmonics.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Fun fact, the aluminum shafts with the carbon fiber wrap were made by Spicer, and that was the first mass use of carbon fiber in an automotive application for a production vehicle.

My dads old 90 GMC 4.3L had one of those Dana shafts (of which Spicer is a brand name).

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My truck used to have one. I gave it up when I did my swap for a 2500 steel driveshaft. I sure was easier moving a shaft you could lift with one hand.
My Burb has one. Noticed it when taking sway bar pictures. Put a magnet to it, no stick. Seen them in later 80s and 90s Chevy and GMC vans too. A former employer had a fleet of them and I worked on the one we had a few times.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach