Aluminum driveshafts for Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both 2wd? Same transmissions and rear axles? It could be that Suburbans were getting both Dana (yours) and AAM (probably who made hers) driveshafts for the Suburbans.... especially if Silao kept making vehicles during the 98 GM strike.

I forgot about the 98 gm strike. So in that case wouldn't mine have been built in 97 and hers 98?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Burb has one. Noticed it when taking sway bar pictures. Put a magnet to it, no stick. Seen them in later 80s and 90s Chevy and GMC vans too. A former employer had a fleet of them and I worked on the one we had a few times.

You must be registered for see images attach

My 99 C2500 Suburban has an alloy shaft also (didn't know as it has been painted and I checked with a magnet after seeing a photo of an alloy one on this forum a few weeks back). But mine IIRC is constant diameter from to rear - unllike HWB's which varies at the axle end. I saw 454cid's later thread - maybe the difference is due to mine being 2WD and HWB's 4WD.
Surprised me that the shaft is aluminium - really didn't expect that but the reasons for it are sound.

Baszboy

Reaction score
First time I was underneath my 98 K2500 I saw the big aluminum drive shaft. At first I though it was a custom shaft but why aluminum? Buddy of mine told me nope quite a few have them from the factory. This ones big and no carbon fiber cover. Still kind of a WOW thing in my eyes!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My 99 C2500 Suburban has an alloy shaft also (didn't know as it has been painted and I checked with a magnet after seeing a photo of an alloy one on this forum a few weeks back). But mine IIRC is constant diameter from to rear - unllike HWB's which varies at the axle end. I saw 454cid's later thread - maybe the difference is due to mine being 2WD and HWB's 4WD.
Surprised me that the shaft is aluminium - really didn't expect that but the reasons for it are sound.
Mine is 2wd. Only 4x4 I have is the F150. Dad's 06 Denali is awd, so similar to Ford, but the 99 Burb is definitely 2wd.