Allen wrench storage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Got the new Bondhus plastic block things today. I started making sets, and I think this is ending up to be a bit of a fools errand. Most of the "sets" have missing sizes. I organized the wrenches by size into piles, in two different areas, but I hadn't actually looked to see what sizes I had. I have some sizes where I have lots left over.

I'm going to keep one long set, and one short set, and I think the rest along with the leftovers are getting donated to the Habitat Restore, or Bibles for Missions.... or maybe I'll leave a set for one of the scavengers that cruises the neighborhood the day before trash day.

I did eventually find my missing 5mm wrench in the 3/16" pile, so now my metric set is complete again.

E-gads

Reaction score
Allen wrenches have always been my nemesis. I buy a new set at least every year and seems like I can always only find the size larger or smaller than I need. So I thought I would check out your post to see if anyone had good solutions. Thinking I like the taped together stuck on a magnet the best, maybe on the firewall of my truck so they are handy:rolleyes:

So I got to searching and came up with this Tekton Hex key wrench set

I ordered them and I hope they're not too bad. I like that the case closes shut and also has large markings so my 55 year old eyes can read the sizes without my readers. Most likely the wrenches will fall out of their spaces into a heap that will spill out when I open it. I'll update when I get them tomorrow

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some sets and alot of loose allen wrenches. I use different color nail polish on the loose ones that fit common items. Red for the cutoff wheel, yellow for the sander etc.
Nail polish also works for sockets, I have 10mm in red, 13mm in green, 15mm in yellow, easy to pick out common sizes with old eyes.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Allen wrenches have always been my nemesis. I buy a new set at least every year and seems like I can always only find the size larger or smaller than I need. So I thought I would check out your post to see if anyone had good solutions. Thinking I like the taped together stuck on a magnet the best, maybe on the firewall of my truck so they are handy:rolleyes:

So I got to searching and came up with this Tekton Hex key wrench set

I ordered them and I hope they're not too bad. I like that the case closes shut and also has large markings so my 55 year old eyes can read the sizes without my readers. Most likely the wrenches will fall out of their spaces into a heap that will spill out when I open it. I'll update when I get them tomorrow

I've actuallly been looking at that set, and was considering ordering it. I've got some Tekton sockets and like them. I think if I buy any more, I'm going to go for the ball end version that work at an angle better. I haven't looked to see if Tekton has a set like that, Though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have some sets and alot of loose allen wrenches. I use different color nail polish on the loose ones that fit common items. Red for the cutoff wheel, yellow for the sander etc.
Nail polish also works for sockets, I have 10mm in red, 13mm in green, 15mm in yellow, easy to pick out common sizes with old eyes.

I do a lot of getting the angle of light just right.... some of my sockets are still hard to see. I think it's because some of them are so shiny.

I did buy a couple of sets of the HF colored sockets, but they don't have all the sizes that Tekton includes in theirs, and I had to buy better rails. The rails I got with the HF sockets did not want to let go of the sockets, at all.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go for the ball end version that work at an angle better.
^^^Yep, go with long length and ball end wrenches :waytogo:. After some practice, you can spin them with one hand - threaded between your fingers and using your thumb on top as the driver.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score