Allen wrench storage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a 3D printer? I bought allen wrench sets that came with holders and threw the old, random allen wrenches away.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Got a 3D printer?

No, but people do have designs out there for just this problem.

I bought allen wrench sets that came with holders and threw the old, random allen wrenches away.

I briefly thought about that, but I can't bring myself to toss old US made industrial stuff and then spend money to replace it with something from overseas.... although, Eklind and Bondhus are mare here. Some of this might be from my grandfather, but much of it is probably from auctions/garage-sales from former tradesman. I used to pick up random tool lots.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, after spending more time than I'd like looking online, I ordered something..... the thing I don't like. Those stupid plastic wedge blocks that hold two rows. The other wrenches almost always get in the way of the one I need. However, there isn't much available out there separate from another set of wrenches. Bondhus sells theirs separately, and Zoro has them dirt cheap in lots of 10. I won't use all 10, but I'll use enough of them, and it'll still be cheaper than the 3 of another design I almost ordered.

Next will be drill bits.... that shouldn't be so hard. The biggest challenge will be sorting what I have.
Those are the ones I have, along with a set of the folding Craftsman sets. I'm like you and don't like the Bondhus because they get in the way when trying to take them out, but they work for storing them.

For drill bits, I have a Bosch case with dividers. It came in a combo drill/impact set and it actually works quite well for all sorts of long bits, large drill bits, spade bits, and miscellaneous gadgetries.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I also have a basic 14 piece Dewalt drill bit set that go on sale during black Friday for like $10 that I use around the house a lot. I sometimes replace lost or broken bits, but at $10 it almost cheaper for get a handful of extra sets. Lastly, I have a Hitachi 29 bit set for those odd X/32" or X/64" drill bits for occasional use.

I work mostly on wood/DIY projects, but every now and then will work on a steel project. I had a drill press but got rid of it because I hardly ever used it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a few examples of what I did in my tool box to try and keep it organized. i got the trays at wally's world.
You must be registered for see images attach

These trays I ordered online, but can't remember where.

These wire mesh trays are silverware dividers.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Here's a few examples of what I did in my tool box to try and keep it organized. i got the trays at wally's world.

These trays I ordered online, but can't remember where.

These wire mesh trays are silverware dividers.

That looks a lot better than my tool box. Part of my problem is that I have no liners, and everything slides. It's actually an old blueprint cabinet, which makes for huge drawers, but very shallow. I can really spread stuff out, but I can't keep it there very well, and often have issues with the depth. The drawers are so big that getting a liner large enough, that doesn't cost a bunch is a problem. I'm actually kind of keeping my eye out for something different.

The allen wrenches got put in a small box I put on the back corner of the blueprint cabinet a few months ago, in it's two drawers.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of my problem is that I have no liners, and everything slides.
Mine do too so, if I can't put trays from front to back, I use these little paper clips to, at least, keep them together.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you know anybody that drives a big rig and ever hauls paper loads, the rubber matting they put down on the trailer floor before dropping those big rolls of paper, makes excellet toolbox drawer liner. They just about never keep the matting when they offload, they just leave it for you to dispose of. Always seemed wasteful to me as much of it stays in good shape, or at least good enough that you can cut away the ripped parts and still have a big enough piece to use.

Richard

cpapeter

Reaction score
Anyone still using tool rolls? Like others, I’m not fond of the plastic holders. They look pretty on the shelf in the store, but its hard to get the Allen wrenches in and out of them. A tool roll can hold multiple copies of the same size Allen wrench in the same pocket. And they certainly slip in and out easy enough. You can see at a glance if one is missing. The L shape of an Allen wrench keeps it from rolling up tightly, so that’s a down side, along with taking up a bit of space.