Allen wrench storage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So my Allen wrenches are always a mess.... in a pile, unsorted, in a drawer sliding around. Awhile back I put most of them in a smaller drawer that keeps them together, but it's still a challenge to find what I need.

Today, I started sorting them by size, and found I basically have next to no metric, but that's fine. However, I have many duplicates of SAE sizes, some more than others... both long and short.

I thought I might put a few "sets" together, but keep them held/organized how? I absolutely hate those angled plastic block things that typically come with new sets. I've looked online a bit, and will so again, since now I have a better idea of what I have.

What do you use? I'd like something portable, rather than something wall mounted, or that would sit on a bench..... I want to be able to toss it into a tool bag, if I need to.

On a side note, I found I actually do have some name brand Allen wrenches, but not very many. Most are ET, Unbrako, or unmarked. I also have a couple that were marked in a way I didn't rcognize, but I don't recall what it was for sure.... some with seemingly randome numbers, and maybe an HK? or HT?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a bit OCD. I can't stand to dig through a bunch of loose tools just to find the one I need. My Allen wrenches are still in there original holders. I have made some holders from metal, and some from wood in the past. All of my sockets are on a rail holder. Wrenches are in a holder, and the loose ones are on a clip that hold the SAE on one clip, and metric on another clip. Kind of like a big dipper pin, made from stainless welding rods. Really the only loose tools I have in any of my tool boxes, are ratchets, extensions, screw drivers, plyers, and a few speciality tools.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm a bit OCD. I can't stand to dig through a bunch of loose tools just to find the one I need. My Allen wrenches are still in there original holders. I have made some holders from metal, and some from wood in the past. All of my sockets are on a rail holder. Wrenches are in a holder, and the loose ones are on a clip that hold the SAE on one clip, and metric on another clip. Kind of like a big dipper pin, made from stainless welding rods. Really the only loose tools I have in any of my tool boxes, are ratchets, extensions, screw drivers, plyers, and a few speciality tools.

Yeah, I'm trying to get better at it. I hate having to dig for stuff too.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The bulk of my allen wrenches are in two forms - those somewhat-useful folding "all-in-one" Craftsman sets, one metric one standard, and a small rack of T-handle standard that are Chinesium. The larger of those have held up over the years but as expected if you try to torque the smaller ones at all, the handles will spin. I also picked up some Craftsman T-handles and they're just sitting loose on a shelf, mostly un-used.. I seriously hate clutter in my tool boxes - I'd rather just add more boxes, than cram too much into a drawer.

Dunno what your workspace is like but if you have a wall, pegboard, etc. with tools hanging off it, I'd bet a simple rail made from wood or aluminum stock with a series of progressively larger holes drilled would do the trick, sort of like a drill index. Not handy for taking the whole set over to whatever you're working on, but would keep them all in one spot, help quickly find the right one, and also quickly show whether one was missing.

Richard

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here are mine at work. Yes, I know, Harbor freight, are the 2 sets and the bulk of what I have here. In my truck I have a set in that tool box. They are in there original Vinyl case. At home, ther are less in order.

Attachments

• 20210825_075559.jpg
    20210825_075559.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 14

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well, after spending more time than I'd like looking online, I ordered something..... the thing I don't like. Those stupid plastic wedge blocks that hold two rows. The other wrenches almost always get in the way of the one I need. However, there isn't much available out there separate from another set of wrenches. Bondhus sells theirs separately, and Zoro has them dirt cheap in lots of 10. I won't use all 10, but I'll use enough of them, and it'll still be cheaper than the 3 of another design I almost ordered.

Next will be drill bits.... that shouldn't be so hard. The biggest challenge will be sorting what I have.